FINANCE YOUR STUDIES
The Honours Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics emphasizes the biophysical sciences of human kinetics, with a focus on the role that biological, anatomical, musculoskeletal, and neuro-motor systems have on motor performance, and the impact of sport and physical activity on the body. It provides the knowledge, skills and techniques required for you to play a leading role in developing and implementing evidence-based approaches that maintain and improve human movement, and lead to positive health outcomes for different populations in a variety of settings.
While the program focuses on disciplines such as anatomy, biomechanics, exercise physiology, motor control and psychomotor behaviour, it also provides an understanding of how the social sciences contribute to human movement and performance.
Students have the opportunity to do experiential education internships in a community venue, or do a research project supervised by faculty.
This degree can lead to admission to graduate studies in human kinetics and advanced degrees in allied health and rehabilitation sciences such as physiotherapy and occupational therapy, medicine, or chiropractic studies.
Potential additional certifications:
- College of Kinesiologists of Ontario (Registered Kinesiologist),
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (Certified Personal Trainer, Certified Exercise Physiologist).
OPTION - Applied Studies in Kinesiology
Students will acquire knowledge and have opportunities to apply what they learn in the various capacities of a kinesiologist. Kinesiology involves the application of principles from biomechanics, physiology, and motor behaviour to improve peoples’ functional movement, motor performance, and to manage and prevent injury and disease. Students will be offered courses oriented towards the core competencies required by the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario to pursue a professional career as a Registered Kinesiologist (R Kin). Students will gain theoretical and practical training, and will acquire skills to critically examine literature in the biophysical sciences of human movement.
- APA 4211 - Internship/Clinical Experience
With over 150 different organizations in the Nation’s Capital Region
- Personal trainer
- Exercise physiologist
- Laboratory coordinator or assistant
- Sport coaches
- Teachers of physical and health education
APA 1161 Introduction to Biophysical Aspects of Human Movement
APA 1313 Musculoskeletal Anatomy
APA 2120 Motor Control and Learning
APA 2140 Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology
APA 2114 Biomechanical Analysis of Human Movement
APA 2180 Research Methods in Human Kinetics
APA 2301 Exercise Physiology
APA 2314 Laboratory Techniques in Exercise Physiology and Biomechanics
APA 3381 Measurement and Data Analysis in Human Kinetics
APA 3120 Psychomotor Behaviour Laboratory
- Interdisciplinary health sciences
- Rehabilitation studies
- Biomedical research
- The Faculty of Health Sciences offers exceptional practicum and career placement opportunities and is located close to government, industry leaders and a vast hospital network.
- We are a cross-road of languages and cultures and the largest bilingual university in the world.
- The University of Ottawa ranks among the top 2% of universities in the world and top 10 best universities in Canada, with state-of-the-art learning and research facilities, and a French Immersion Stream.
- Our main campus is right in downtown Ottawa #BywardMarket.
- A brand new light rail station right on campus with a transit pass included in your tuition fees.
- Ottawa ranks 1st among Canadian cities for quality of life.