FINANCE YOUR STUDIES
This program emphasizes the social sciences aspects of physical activity, sport, active leisure and health. It provides the knowledge and skills required to play a leading role in developing, promoting and implementing programs, policies and positive lifestyle behaviours for different populations in a variety of settings.
Students will have the opportunity to do experiential education internships in a community venue, or do a research project supervised by faculty.
Graduates of this program will gain theoretical and applied knowledge from disciplines such as sociology, psychology, pedagogy/coaching, leisure studies and administration, as well as foundational understandings of the biophysical aspects of human movement.
This degree can lead to graduate studies in human kinetics and teacher education, and to Certifications from the Coaching Association of Canada and the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (personal trainer).
|Gain theoretical and practical training in governance and management principles, related to planning, policy making, marketing, entrepreneurship, and communications. Students will critically examine the impacts of organizations, sport events and festivals, and learn to evaluate the influence of policy relating to sport, leisure and physical activity, on individuals and society.||Gain theoretical and practical training in why and how to encourage people to become more active and how to better peoples’ experiences in various contexts. Students will critically examine how interventions and policies lead to improved health, well-being, development, learning, and performance in individuals and society, and will learn to develop, implement and evaluate programs.|
- APA 4211 - Internship/Clinical Experience
With over 150 different organizations in the Nation’s Capital Region
- Sport and recreation management
- Development of recreation services and fitness programs in the community
- Health and physical activity promotion
- Sport coaches
- Teachers of physical and health education
- Mental performance consultants in high performance sport
APA 1313 Musculoskeletal Anatomy
APA 1122 Health: A Global Perspective
APA 1302 Sociology of Sport and Physical Activity in Canada
APA 2111 Intervention Theories
APA 2120 Motor Control and Learning
APA 2140 Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology
APA 2302 History of Sport and Physical Activity in Canada
APA 2315 Introduction to Applied Biomechanics
APA 2134 Administration of Leisure, Sport and Physical Activity Services
APA 2180 Research Methods in Human Kinetics
APA 2312 Physiology of Physical Activity
APA 3118 Recreation, Sport and Community Development
APA 3381 Measurement and Data Analysis in Human Kinetics
APA 3301 Ethics in Sport, Physical Activity and Health in Canada
- Human Kinetics
- Sports Management
- Intervention and Consultation
- The Faculty of Health Sciences offers exceptional practicum and career placement opportunities and is located close to government, industry leaders and a vast hospital network.
- We are a cross-road of languages and cultures and the largest bilingual university in the world.
- The University of Ottawa ranks among the top 2% of universities in the world and top 10 best universities in Canada, with state-of-the-art learning and research facilities, and a French Immersion Stream.
- Our main campus is right in downtown Ottawa #BywardMarket.
- A brand new light rail station right on campus with a transit pass included in your tuition fees.
- Ottawa ranks 1st among Canadian cities for quality of life.