Room: RGN 3245B
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 1014
Work E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Brandi Vanderspank-Wright is an assistant professor and co-director of the Nursing Palliative Care Research and Education at the University of Ottawa. She is also an incoming Director for the Central Region of the Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses and active member of the Ottawa Regional Chapter of the Association. As a registered nurse, Brandi’s practice has been primarily focused on adult critical care. She maintains certification in Adult Critical Care through the Canadian Nurses’ Association Certification Program. Brandi has also practiced in Hospice Palliative Care. Her doctoral research explored the development of critical care nursing in Canada over a period of 40+ years. Her current program of research focuses on the experiences of clinicians (particularly nurses) as they navigate complex health care situations inherent to the critical care environment. The latter includes supporting new nurses and other health care providers as they transition into critical care practice. She has a particular interest in ensuring the provision of good end-of-life care in the critical care environment and as it is situated within the contexts of withdrawal and withholding of life-sustaining measures. She is currently accepting graduate students.
- Critical care nursing;
- End-of-life care in critical care;
- Clinician experiences of withdrawal and withholding of life sustaining measures in critical care;
- New nurse socialization into critical care;
- Nursing education in specialized contexts of care;
- Qualitative research
- Roze des Ordons, A., Vanderspank, B. & Hartwick, M. (2018). Introduction to Establishing Therapeutic Relationships. In P. Cardinal, T. Witter, & S. Yamashita (Eds.)., Navigating Medical Emergencies: An interactive guide to patient management. Ottawa, ON: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Vanderspank, B., Roze des Ordons, A. & Hartwick, M. (2018). Introduction to Goals of Care. In P. Cardinal, T. Witter, & S. Yamashita (Eds.)., Navigating Medical Emergencies: An interactive guide to patient management. Ottawa, ON: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Vanderspank-Wright, B. (2017). Constructing Nursing Knowledge in the Context of Canadian Intensive Care Units, 1960-2002. Canadian Journal of Critical Care Nursing (In-Press).
- Hartley, H., Wright, D.K., Vanderspank-Wright, B., Murray, M.A., & Grassau, P. (2017). Dead on the table: A theoretical expansion of the vicarious trauma that operating room clinicians experience when their patients die. Death Studies. (Accepted).
- Wright, D.K., Vanderspank-Wright, B., Holmes D., Skinner, E. (2017). Forensic nursing and the palliative approach to care: an empirical nursing ethics analysis. International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 23(8), 378-385.
- Vanderspank-Wright, B., Efstathiou, N., & Vandyk, A.D. (2017). Critical care nurses’ experiences of withdrawal of treatment: A systematic review of qualitative evidence. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 77, 15-26.
- Barton, G., Vanderspank-Wright, B., & Shea, J. (2016). Optimizing oxygenation in the mechanically ventilated patient: Nursing practice implications. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America, 28, 425-435.
- Vanderspank-Wright, B., & McMillan, K. (2016). Critical care nursing north of the 60th parallel: A qualitative pilot study. Canadian Journal of Critical Care Nursing, 27(3),12-17.
- Foth, T., Efstathiou, N., Vanderspank-Wright, B., Ufholz, L.A., Zimanski, M., Dutthorn, N., & Humphrey-Muto, S. (2016). The use of Delphi and nominal group technique in nursing education. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 60, 112-120.
- Oliveira, I., Fothergill-Bourbonnais, F., McPherson, C., & Vanderspank-Wright, B. (2015). Battling a tangled web: The lived experiences of nurses providing end-of-care on an acute medical unit. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice, 30(4), 353-378.
- Vanderspank-Wright, B., Fothergill-Bourbonnais, F., Toman, C., & McPherson, C. (2015). A Social Construction of the Development of ICU Nursing in Canada, 1960-2002. The Canadian Journal of Critical Care Nursing, 26(1), 19-24.
- Vanderspank-Wright, B., Fothergill-Bourbonnais, F., Brajtman, S., Gagnon, P. (2011). Caring for patients and families at end-of-life: The experiences of intensive care nurses withdrawing life-sustaining treatment. Dynamics Official Journal of the Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses, 22(4), 31-35.
- Vanderspank-Wright, B., Fothergill-Bourbonnais, F., Slivar, S., Malone-Tucker, S. (2011). End-of-life care in ICU: Learning with experience. Dynamics Official Journal of the Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses, 22(4), 22-25.