Room: MNT 222
Office: (613) 562-5800 ext. 4350
Work E-mail: bseguin@uOttawa.ca
Benoit Séguin is an associate professor in sport management in the School of Human Kinetics at the University of Ottawa. He teaches sport management courses (sport marketing) in both official languages at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Dr. Séguin Professor Séguin is also a supervising professor at the International Olympic Academy (Olympic marketing and sponsoring) and at the Russian International Olympic University (Business of Sport and the Olympics). He also lectures in the Executive Masters in Sport Organisations Management (MEMOS) program in French and English, and has co-developed and co-taught a sport event management course with Dr. Milena Parent on the International Olympic Committee’s Athlete Learning Gateway.
Dr. Séguin is interested in the marketing of sport events and organizations. He focuses on questions related to sponsorship, ambush marketing and brand management, primarily in the context of major sports events such as the Olympic Games.
He is the co-author of Sport Marketing: A Canadian Perspective (with Norm O’Reilly, 2009, 2014), Olympic Marketing (with profs. Alain Ferrand and Jean-Loup Chappelet, 2012) and Global Sport Marketing: Sponsorship and the Olympic Games (with Norm O’Reilly, Richard Pound, Rick Burton and Michelle Brunette).
In addition to his academic work, Dr. Séguin has extensive experience in the management of Olympic sport organizations. He was marketing director of two national sport organizations (Synchro Canada and Diving Canada), a board member and past-president of Diving Canada and Vice-President of the Aquatic Federation of Canada. In 2003, he was appointed by the Canadian Olympic Committee as Assistant Chef de Mission for the Canadian team competing at the 2003 Pan American Games in Santo Domingo. He is currently a board member of the Quebec Diving Federation.
- Sport marketing
- Sport event marketing
- Brand management
- Ambush marketing
Dr. Séguin focuses on sport marketing. Currently, he has research projects associated with the brand governance of Olympic Games, and is involved in a landscape study of Canadian national sport organizations, examining their governance, branding and social media.
- Administrative Sciences Association of Canada
- North American Society for Sport Management
- Sport Marketing Association
- O’Reilly, N., Pound, D. Séguin, B., Burton, R. and Brunette, M. (2015). Global Sport Marketing.Fitness Information technology. Morgantown, West Virginia.
- Séguin, B., Ferrand, A. and Chappelet, J-L. (2014). Extending the Olympic Brand into new territories: The case of the Youth Olympic Games. In Handstad, D.V., Parent, M. and Houlihan, B. The Youth Olympic Games. Routledge: London.
- Ferrand, A., Chappelet, . J-L., Séguin, B. (2012). Olympic Marketing. Routledge: London.
- Abeza, G., O’Reilly, N., Séguin, B. and Nzindukiyimana , O. (2015). Social Media Scholarship in Sport Management Research: A Critical Review. Journal of Sport Management.
- Abeza, G., Pegoraro, A., Naraine, M., Séguin, B. and O’Reilly, N. (2015). Activating a Global Sport Sponsorship with Social Media: An Analysis of TOP Sponsors, Twitter, and the 2014 Olympic Games. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing.
- Young, B., Bennett, A. and Séguin, B. (2015). Masters Sports Perspective. In Parent, M. and Chappelet, J-L. Handbook of Sports Event Management. Routledge: London.
- Séguin, B., Scassa, T. (2013). Ambush Marketing Legislation to protect Mega Sport Events: The Case of Vancouver Olympic Winter Games 2010. In Scassa, T. Intellectual Property for the 21st Century: Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Intellectual Property Law. Toronto: Irwin Law.
- Séguin, B. (2012). Managing a Brand in the era of ambush marketing: Legislation the ultimate form of brand protection? The case of Vancouver 2010. In Preuss, H., Koenecke, T., Schunk, H. and Huber, F. Brands in Sports. Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden/Gabler Verlag
- Séguin, B., Ellis, D. (2012). Ambush Marketing. In Robinson, L. and Bodet, G.(Eds) International Handbook of Sport and Policy Management. Routledge.
- Hautbois, C., Parent, M. and Séguin, B. (2012) "How to win a bid for major sporting events? A stakeholder analysis of the 2018 Olympic Winter Games French bid", Sport Management Review, 2012.
- MacIntosh, E., Nadeau, J., Séguin, B., O’Reilly, N., Bradish, C. and Legg, D. (2012). Mega-sports event interest as a salient determinant of sponsorship and ambush marketing attitudes: Consumer Perspectives on the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Winter Games. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 21(1), 43-52.
- Ellis, D., Scassa, T. and Séguin, B. (2011). Framing Ambush Marketing as a Legal Issue: An Olympic perspective. Sport Management Review. 14(3), 297-308.
- Ellis, D., Gauthier, M-E and Séguin, B. (2011). An examination of ambush marketing legislation and Canadian national sport organizations. Journal of Sponsorship. 4(2), 253-271
- Séguin, B., Richelieu, A. and O’Reilly, N. (2008). Leveraging the Olympic Brand through the Reconciliation of Corporate Consumers Brand Perceptions. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 3(1/2), 3-22.
- Séguin, B. and O’Reilly, N. (2008). The Olympic brand, ambush Marketing and Clutter. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing. 4(1/2), 62-84.
- Preuss, H., Gemeinder, K. and Séguin, B. (2008). Ambush Marketing in China: Empirical Evidence and Theoretical Explanations. Asian Business and Management, 7(2), 243-263.
- Parent, M., Séguin, B. (2008). Toward a Model of Brand Creation for International Large-Scale Sporting Events. Journal of Sport Management.22(5) 526-549
- O’Reilly, N., Lyberger, M., McCarthy, L. and Séguin, B., Nadeau, J. (2008). Intent-to-Purchase and Mega-Special-Event Sponsorship: A Longitudinal Analysis of the Super Bowl. Journal of Sport Management. 22(4), 392-409.
- Séguin, B., Lyberger, M., O’Reilly, N., and McCarthy, L. (July, 2005). Internationalizing Ambush Marketing: The Olympic Brand and Country of Origin. International Journal of Sport Marketing and Sponsorship.7 (3), 216-229.
- Séguin, B., Teed, K. and O’Reilly (June, 2005). National Sport Organizations and Sponsorship: An Identification of Best Practices. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 1(2). 69-92.
Conferences and Presentations
- Séguin, B. (2015, December). Olympic Brand Go vernance. Conference held by the University of Johannesburg and the Olympic Studies Centre of the German Sport University Cologne. Johannesburg., South Africa.
- Ellis, D., Séguin, B., Scassa, T., & Parent, M. M. (2008, September). Who’s ambushing whom? An examination of anti-ambush marketing legislation in Canada: The Case of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. Paper presented at the 16th European Association for Sport Management conference, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Patry, P., Séguin, B., O’Reilly, N. and Ellis, D. (2014). Ambush Marketing and the Olympic and Paralympic Marks Act: A Sponsor’s Perspective. Administrative Sciences Association of Canada, Nipissing University, Ontario, Canada. Best Paper Award, Tourism and Sport Management Track.
- Parent, M. M., & Séguin, B. (2009, June 6-9). Unmodèle pour des alliances stratégiques dans le cadre de la gestion d’événements sportifs au Canada. Paper presented at the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Conference, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
- Parent, M. M., & Séguin, B. (2010, July). Change as routine? Understanding organizational change in Canadian major sporting events. Paper presented at the International Federation of Scholarly Associations of Management, Paris, France.
- Séguin, B., Parent, M.M., Young, B., & Bennett, A. (2014, November 27). Understanding ‘Best-Ever’ Masters Sport Events: The Case of FINA 2014. Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand (SMAANZ) conference. Melbourne, Australia
- Ellis, D., Séguin, B. and Parent, M. (2013). The Evolution and Institutionalization of Olympic Ambush Marketing. European Sport Management Association Conference. Istanbul, Turkey.
- Abeza, G., O’Reilly, N. & Séguin, B. (2015). IOC’s Social Media Regulation and Its Effectiveness in Protecting Ambush Marketing: The Case of Sochi 2014 Olympic Games. October 28, 2015, 13th Annual Conference Sport Marketing Association. Atlanta, Georgia.
- Rodrigue, F., Séguin, B., Parent, M. and MacIntosh, E. (2015). Brand and Value Co-Creation: A Case Study of an Expansion Franchise. NASSM 2015 Conference, Ottawa, Ontario, June 2015
- Abeza, G., O’Reilly, N., Séguin, B., & Floyd, J. (2015). Athlete Product Endorsement and Use of Twitter. The 23nd European Association for Sport Management conference. Dublin, Ireland.