Office: (613) 562-5800 ext. 2984
Work E-mail: milena.parent@uOttawa.ca
Milena Parent is a full professor in sport (event) management in the School of Human Kinetics at the University of Ottawa. She teaches sport management courses in both official languages at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Dr. Parent also lectures in the Project & Event Management Module in the French and English Executive Masters in Sport Organisations Management (MEMOS) programs.
She has been a visiting associate professor at the Norwegian School of Sport Sciences (Oslo, Norway), a lecturer at the International Olympic Academy’s 57th Internationally Session for Young Participants, and she has co-developed and co-taught the sport event management course on the International Olympic Committee’s Athlete Learning Gateway.
She received a Young Researcher Award from the University of Ottawa (2009) and an Early Researcher Award from the Government of Ontario (2010). She was also named a research fellow of the North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM) in 2009.
Dr. Parent focuses on organization theory and strategic management, primarily in the context of major sports events (e.g., the Pan American Games, Youth Olympic Games and Olympic Games). She is interested in the governance and management of the relationships between organizing committees and their various stakeholders.
She is the co-author of Managing Major Sports Events: Theory and Practice (with Sharon Smith-Swan, Routledge, 2013) and Understanding Sport Organizations: The Application of Organization Theory (2nd edition, with Trevor Slack, Human Kinetics, 2006). She co-edited The SAGE Handbook of Sport Management (with Russell Hoye, SAGE, 2017), Elite Youth Sport Policy and Management: A Comparative Analysis (with Elsa Kristiansen and Barrie Houlihan, Routledge, 2017), The Routledge Handbook of Sports Event Management (with Jean-Loup Chappelet, Routledge, 2015) and The Youth Olympic Games (with Dag Vidar Hanstad and Barrie Houlihan, Routledge, 2014).
Dr. Parent served as the 2001 Games of La Francophonie technical officials’ coordinator and as a protocol and language services manager for the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Winter Games.
Finally, she has consulted for a number of organizations, such as the Aquatic Federation of Canada, the Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages and Canadian Heritage/Sport Canada. She currently sits on the Canadian Sport Policy 2012 Policy Implementation and Monitoring Work Group.
Sport management, sport event management, stakeholder and network governance/management, knowledge management and transfer, organization theory, and strategic management
- President of SportCopywriters: https://sportcopywriters.com/
- Academy of Management
- Administrative Sciences Association of Canada
- American Writers and Artists, Inc.
- European Sport Management Association
- North American Society for Sport Management
- Professional Writers’ Alliance
Dr. Parent focuses on sport (event) management and governance and sport system governance. Currently, she has research projects associated with the governance of the Youth Olympic Games and, more broadly, other types of sports events. She is also leading a landscape study of Canadian national sport organizations, examining their governance, brand governance and social media use.
- Hanstad, D. V., Parent, M. M., & Houlihan, B. (Eds.). (2014). The Youth Olympic Games. London: Routledge.
- Hautbois, C., Parent, M. M., & Séguin, B. (2012). How to win a bid for major sporting events? A stakeholder analysis of the 2018 Olympic Winter Games French bid. Sport Management Review, 15(3), 263-275.
- Hoye, R. & Parent, M. M. (Eds.) (2017). The SAGE handbook of sport management. London: SAGE.
- Kristiansen, E., Parent, M. M., & Houlihan, B. (Eds.) (2017). Elite youth sport policy and management: A comparative analysis. London: Routledge.
- Kristiansen, E., Skirstad, B., Parent, M. M., & Waddington, I. (2015). ‘We can do it’: Community, resistance, social solidarity, and long-term volunteering at a sport event. Sport Management Review, 18(2), 256-267.
- Leopkey, B., & Parent, M. M. (2009). Risk Management Issues in Large-scale Sporting Events: a Stakeholder Perspective. European Sport Management Quarterly, 9(2), 187-208.
- Leopkey, B. & Parent, M.M. (2017). The governance of Olympic legacy: Process, actors and mechanisms, Leisure Studies, 36(3), 438-451.
- Leopkey, B., & Parent, M. M. (2012). Olympic Games legacy: From general benefits to sustainable long-term legacy. International Journal of the History of Sport, 29(6), 924-943. doi: 10.1080/09523367.2011.623006
- Naraine, M.L. & Parent, M.M. (2016). Illuminating centralized users in the social media ego network of two national sport organizations. Journal of Sport Management, 30(6), 689-701.
- Naraine, M., Schenk, J., & Parent, M.M. (2016). Coordination in international and domestic sports events: Examining stakeholder network governance. Journal of Sport Management, 30(5), 521-537.
- O’Reilly, N., Berger, I. E., Hernandez, T., Parent, M. M., & Séguin, B. (2015). Urban sportscapes: An environmental deterministic perspective on the management of youth sport participation. Sport Management Review, 18(2), 291-307. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.smr.2014.07.003
- Parent, M. M. (2008). Evolution and issue patterns for major-sport-event organizing committees and their stakeholders. Journal of Sport Management, 22(2), 135-164.
- Parent, M. M. (2010). Decision making in major sport events over time: Parameters, drivers, and strategies. Journal of Sport Management, 24(3), 291-318.
- Parent, M.M. (2016). Stakeholder perceptions on the democratic governance of major sports events. Sport Management Review, 19(4), 402-416.
- Parent, M. M. (2016). The governance of the Olympic Games in Canada. Sport in Society, 19(6), 796-816. doi: 10.1080/17430437.2015.1108652
- Parent, M. M., Beaupré, R., & Séguin, B. (2009). Key leadership qualities for major sporting events: The case of the world aquatics championships. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 6(4), 367-388. doi: 10.1504/IJSMM.2009.029300
- Parent, M. M., & Harvey, J. (2017). A partnership-based evaluation of a community-based youth sport and physical activity programme. Sport in Society, 20(1), 7-29. doi: 10.1080/17430437.2015.1124561
- Parent, M. M., & MacIntosh, E. W. (2013). Organizational culture evolution in temporary organizations: The case of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, 30(4), 223-237. doi: 10.1002/CJAS.1262
- Parent, M. M., Rouillard, C., & Leopkey, B. (2011). Issues and strategies pertaining to the Canadian governments' coordination efforts in relation to the 2010 Olympic Games. European Sport Management Quarterly, 11(4), 337-369. doi: 10.1080/16184742.2011.599202
- Parent, M. M., & Smith-Swan, S. (2013). Managing major sports events: Theory and practice. London: Routledge.
- Schenk, J., Parent, M. M., MacDonald, D., & Proulx Therrien, L. (2015). The evolution of knowledge management and transfer processes from domestic to international multi-sport events. European Sport Management Quarterly, 15(5), 535-554. doi: 10.1080/16184742.2015.1091022
Selected conferences and presentations
- Lachance, E. & Parent, M.M. (2017, June 3). The volunteer experience in a local para-sport event: An ethnographic approach. Paper presented at the 2017 North American Society for Sport Management Conference, Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Naraine, M., Parent, M.M. (2015, July 27). Examining the social network of Canadian national sport organizations. Paper presented at the Social Media & Society 2015 International Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- Parent, M. M. (2012). Describing the Olympic Games knowledge transfer stakeholder network. Paper presented at the Innsbruck, Austria, 4th International Sport Business Symposium.https://www.sport.uni-mainz.de/Preuss/Download%20public/Symposium_uni_innsbruck_12_01_2012.pdf
- Parent, M. M. (2015). The Governance of the Olympic Games in Canada. Paper presented at the Symposium célébrant 100 ans du siège du Comité international olympique «De l'administration à la gouvernance olympique: défis pour notre siècle», Lausanne, Switzerland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJUmf2vMkEI&list=PLGLNN-KqKMrSlg5NKHGr_FT8FpEDQhmG4&index=9
- Parent, M.M. (2017, June 21). The structures of sport and “good governance.” Paper presented at the 57th International Session for Young Participants, International Olympic Academy, Athens-Olympia, Greece. http://www.ioa-sessions.org/yp2017-lecture-prof-dr-milena-m-parent-can
- Parent, M.M. (2017, May 11). Les candidatures pour les grands événements sportifs : mythes et réalités. Colloque « La ville et le sport », Brest, France.
- Parent, M. M., Schafer, J. P., & Rouillard, C. (2011, Septembre). Event rights holders versus host nations: Who is accountable, for what, and to whom, for an Olympic Games? Paper presented at the 19th European Association for Sport Management Conference, Madrid, Spain.
- Parent, M. M., & Séguin, B. (2010, July). Change as routine? Understanding organizational change in Canadian major sporting events. Paper presented at the International Federation of Scholarly Associations of Management, Paris, France.
- Séguin, B., Parent, M.M., Young, B., & Bennett, A. (2014, November 27). Understanding ‘Best-Ever’ Masters Sport Events: The Case of FINA 2014. Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand (SMAANZ) conference. Melbourne, Australia