Room: RGN 3057
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 8028
Work E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rose Martini received her B.Sc. in Occupational Therapy from McGill University and her M.Sc. in Occupational Therapy from the University of Western Ontario. For her master’s research she investigated Verbal Self-Guidance (VSG), a cognitive intervention approach now known as CO-OP (Cognitive Orientation to daily Occupational Performance), with children with Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD). She obtained her Ph.D. in Educational Psychology from McGill University. For her doctoral study, she explored metacognitive processes underlying psychomotor performance in children with differing psychomotor abilities. Her research program is aimed at facilitating occupational performance in children with neurodevelopmental disorders, particularly those with DCD. This includes the adaptation and development of evaluation measures as well as the study of occupational therapy intervention effectiveness with respect to skill acquisition, retention and transfer. Dr. Martini has taught at the University of Ottawa since 1996. She is member of the CO-OP Academy and a certified CO-OP instructor. She is also associate editor of the Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy.
- Cognitive orientation to daily occupational performance (CO-OP)
- Self-regulation in motor learning
- Movement imager ability in children
- Cross-cultural validation of screening measures for with French-Canadian population (e.g., DCDQ-FC http://dcdq.ca/pdf/DCDQ%20QTACAdminScoring%20(2013)Revised.pdf )
Publications in refereed journals (* denotes student)
- Martini, R., Carter, M. Yoxon, E.*, Cumming, J., & Ste-Marie, D. (2016). Development and validation of the Movement Imagery Questionnaire for Children (MIQ- C). Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 22, 190-201.
- Ray-Kaeser, S., Satink, T., Andresen, M., Martini, R., Wilson, B., Coletti, E. T., & Leiser, M. B. (2015). Cross-cultural adaptation of the Developmental Coordination Disorder Questionnaire’07 for European French-speaking countries: Pretesting in Switzerland. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 35(2), 132-146. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/01942638.2015.1009229
- Martini, R., Rios J., Polatajko H., Wolf T., McEwen S.E. (2015). The Performance Quality Rating Scale (PQRS): Reliability, Convergent Validity, and Internal Responsiveness for Two Scoring Systems. Disability and Rehabilitation, 37(3). 231-8. doi: 10.3109/09638288.2014.913702. Epub 2014 Apr 28.
- Martini, R., Mandich, A., Green, D. (2014). Implementing a modified cognitive orientation to daily occupational performance approach for use in a group format. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 77(4), 214-219.
- Van Schyndel, R.*, Bhargava Furgoch, A., Previl, T., & Martini, R. (2014). The experience of speech recognition software abandonment by adolescents with physical disabilities. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 9(6), 513-20. doi: 10.3109/17483107.2014.883651. Epub 2014 Jan 30
- Paquette, G.*, Egan, M., & Martini, R. (2013). Peer mastery in addition to direct instruction post stroke: A single-subject design. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics, 31(4), 354-367. doi: 10.3109/02703181.2013.821639
- Martini, R., St-Pierre, M. F.*, & Wilson, B. (2011). French Canadian Cross-cultural Adaptation of the Developmental Coordination Disorder Questionnaire (DCDQ-FC). Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy. 78, 318-327.
- Ste-Marie, D. M., Vertes, K., Rymal, A., & Martini, R. (2011). Feedforward self-modeling enhances skill acquisition in children learning trampoline skills. Frontiers in Movement Science and Sport Psychology, 2, 1-7. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2011.00155
- Martini, R., Rymal, A., & Ste-Marie, D. (2011). Investigating Self-as-a-Model techniques and Underlying Cognitive Processes in Adults Learning the Butterfly Swim Stroke. International Journal of Sports Science and Engineering, 5(4), 242-256.
- Ste-Marie, D., Vertes, K., Rymal, A., & Martini, R. (2011). Self-modeling and competitive beam performance enhancement examined within a self-regulation perspective. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 23, 292-307. doi: 10.1080/10413200.2011.558049
- Dionne, M., & Martini, R. (2011). Floor Time Play with a child with autism: A single-subject study. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 78, 196-203. doi: 10.2182/cjot.2011.78.3.8
- Rymal, A., Martini, R., Ste-Marie, D. (2010). Self-regulatory processes employed during self-modeling: A qualitative analysis. The Sport Psychologist, 24, 1-15.
- Gibson, B. E., Darrah, J., Cameron, D., Hashemi, G., Kingsnorth, S., Lepage, C., Martini, R., Mandich, A., Menna-Dack, D. (2009). Revisiting therapy assumptions in children’s rehabilitation: Clinical and research implications. Disability and Rehabilitation, 31, 1446-1453.
- Martini, R., & Shore, B. (2008). Pointing to parallels in the use of metacognition in academic and psychomotor tasks. Learning and Individual Differences, 28, 237-247.
- Martini, R., Aquilino*, L., Buissé*, S., Dumais*, A., Pion*, V., St. Rose*, E., Sveistrup, H., & Ste-Marie, D. M. (2006). Implicit learning of an embedded regularity in older adults using a SRT reaching task in a virtual reality medium. Annual Review of CyberTherapy and Telemedicine,4,103-110.
- Clark, S. E., Ste-Marie, D. M., Martini, R. (2006). The thought processes underlying self-modeling and self-observation: What are children thinking about? Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 7, 381-386.
- Martini, R., Wall, A. E., & Shore, B.M. (2004). Metacognitive processes underlying psychomotor performance in children with differing psychomotor abilities. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, 21, 248-268.
- Polatajko, H. J., Mandich, A., & Martini, R. (2000). Dynamic performance analysis: A framework for understanding occupational performance. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 54, 65-72.
- Martini, R., Heath, N., & Missiuna, C. (1999). A North American analysis of the relationship between definitions of developmental coordination disorder and learning disability. International Journal of Special Education, 14(1), 46-58.
- Martini, R., & Polatajko, H. J. (1998). Verbal self-guidance as a treatment approach for children with developmental coordination disorder: A systematic replication study, The Occupational Therapy Journal of Research, 18(4), 157-181.
- Martini, R., Polatajko, H. J., & Wilcox, A. (1995). ICIDH-PR: A potential model for occupational therapy, Occupational Therapy International, 2(1), 1-21.