Room: RGN 1118 J
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 8975
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Wendy Gifford (PhD, RN) is Associate Professor at University of Ottawa Faculty of Health Sciences School of Nursing, Loyer-DaSilva Research Chair in Community and Public Health Nursing, and Co-Director of the Center for Research on Health & Nursing (CRHN).
Her research focuses on knowledge translation with health care providers to improve healthcare delivery and patient outcomes. She has a particular interest in implementation leadership and working with Indigenous communities to support culturally safe cancer care practices. She has international research collaborations with teams in Sweden, Australia and China in the area of leadership development for research-informed care.
She has received generous funding from the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR), Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care of Ontario and the Canadian Cancer Society. Her current CIHR funded projects are in partnership with Indigenous communities in Ontario and Nunavut.
Prior to academia, she worked in ICU and ER in British Columbia and as an outpost nurse in First Nations communities in the Yukon Territory.
- Leadership and Management
- Knowledge translation / Implementation science
- Community health care
- Indigenous health
- Cancer survivorship
- Williams JE, Gifford W, Vanderspank-Wright B, Phillips JC (2019) Violence and Health Promotion Among First Nations, Metis, and Inuit Women: A Systematic Review of Qualitative Research. Trauma Violence Abuse. doi:10.1177/1524838019875696
- Hu J, Gifford W, Ruan H, Harrison D, Li Q, Ehrhart MG, Aarons GA (2019) Translation and linguistic validation of the implementation leadership scale in Chinese nursing context. J Nurs Manag 27 (5):1030-1038. doi:10.1111/jonm.12768
- Gifford W, Lewis KB, Eldh AC, Fiset V, Abdul-Fatah T, Aberg AC, Thavorn K, Graham ID, Wallin L (2019) Feasibility and usefulness of a leadership intervention to implement evidence-based falls prevention practices in residential care in Canada. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 5 (1):103. doi:10.1186/s40814-019-0485-7
- Gifford W, Thomas R, Barton G, Graham ID (2019). Providing culturally safe cancer survivorship care with Indigenous communities: study protocol for an integrated knowledge translation. BMC Pilot & feasibility Studies. 5:33. doi: 10.1186/s40814-019-0422
- Thomas R, Novy C, Gifford W, Grandpierre V, Poudrier J, Thomas O (2019). Exploring the Intersections of Storytelling and Visual Arts: Indigenous Peoples’ Experiences of Cancer. Storytelling, Self and Society; An Interdisciplinary Journal of Storytelling Studies, 15(1)
- Almost J, Gifford W, Doran D, Ogilvie L, Miller C, Rose DN, Squires M, Carryer J, McShane J, Miller K (2019) The Acceptability and Feasibility of Implementing an Online Educational Intervention With Nurses in a Provincial Prison Context. J Forensic Nurs 15 (3):172-182. doi:10.1097/JFN.0000000000000242
- Gifford W, Thomas O, Thomas R, Grandpierre V, Ukagwu C (2019) Spirituality in cancer survivorship with First Nations people in Canada. Support Care Cancer 27 (8):2969-2976. doi:10.1007/s00520-018-4609-z
- Gifford W, Squires JE, Angus DE, Ashley LA, Brosseau L, Craik JM, Domecq MC, Egan M, Holyoke P, Juergensen L, Wallin L, Wazni L, Graham ID (2018). Managerial leadership for research use in nursing and allied health care professions: a systematic review. Implementation Science,13:127. doi.org/10.1186/s13012-018-0817-7
- Gifford W, Zhang Q, Chen S, Davies B, Xie R, Wen SW, Harvey G. (2018). When east meets west: a qualitative study of barriers and facilitators to evidence-based practice in Hunan China. BMC Nursing 17:26. DOI: 10.1186/s12912-018-0295
- Gifford W, Thomas R, Barton G, Grandpierre V, Graham ID (2018). “Breaking the silence” to improve cancer survivorship care for First Nations Peoples: a study protocol for an Indigenous knowledge translation strategy. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 17: 1-6. DOI: 10.1177/1609406918774133
- Gifford W, Graham ID, Ehrhart MG, Davies BL, Aarons GA. (2017). Ottawa Model of Implementation Leadership (O-MILe) and Implementation Leadership Scale (ILS): Mapping concepts for developing and evaluating theory-based leadership interventions. Journal of Healthcare Leadership, 9;15-23.
- Thomas R, Gifford W, Hammond C (2017) Writing toward well-being: A qualitative study with breast cancer survivors. Canadian Oncology of Nursing Journal, 27(2), 178-185. DOI:10.5737//23688076272178185.
- Thomas R, Gifford W, Poudrier J, Scott T, Brooks C, Hamilton R, Morrison T, Warner D, & Hammond C (2015). First Nations, Inuit, and Métis women’s experiences of cancer survivorship: Protocol for the National Picture Project. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 14(1), 97-120 DOI: 10.1177/160940691501400109
- Gifford W, Davies B, Egan M, Rowan M, Lefebre N, Brehaut J. Understanding audit and feedback to support falls prevention and pain management in home health care settings. Home Health Care Management & Practice (On-line first August 19 2015)
- Andersson AE, Gifford W, Nilsson K, Improving Care in Surgery – A Qualitative study of Managers' Experiences of Implementing Evidence-Based Practice in the Operating Room. Journal of Hospital Administration, 4(4), 73-83, 2015.
- Thomas R, Gifford W, Poudrier J, Scott T, Brooks C, Hamilton R, Morrison T, Warner D, & Hammond C. First Nations, Inuit, and Métis women's experiences of cancer survivorship: Protocol for the National Picture Project. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 14(1), 98-120, 2015.
- Gifford W, Holyoke P, Squires J, Angus D, Brosseau L, Egan M, Graham ID, Miller C, Wallin L. Managerial leadership for research use in nursing and allied health care professions: A narrative synthesis protocol. Systematic Reviews, 3(57), 1-7, 2014.
- Gifford, W., Lefebre, N., Davies, B., "An organizational intervention to influence evidence-informed decision making in home health nursing", Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(7/8), 395-402, 2014.
- Gifford W, Graham ID, Davies BL. Multi-level barriers analysis to promote guideline based nursing care: a leadership strategy from home health care. Journal of Nursing Management, 21(5), 762-770, 2013.
- Gifford W, Davies B, Ploeg J, Eldred S, Bajnok I. Moving Knowledge to Action: A Qualitative Study of the Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario Advanced Clinical Practice Fellowship Program. Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership, 26(1), 32-57, 2013.
- Gifford W, Davies B, Graham ID, Tourangeau A, Woodend K, Lefebre N. Developing Leadership Capacity for Guideline Use: A Pilot Cluster Randomized Control Trial. Worldviews on evidence-based nursing, 10(1), 51-65, 2012