Room: THN 223
Bureau: 613-562-5800 ext. 3482
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Bénédicte Fontaine-Bisson is an Associate Professor in the School of Nutrition Sciences at the University of Ottawa and a Registered Dietitian. She obtained her PhD in Nutritional Sciences (specialization in nutrigenetics) at the University of Toronto and completed a postdoctoral training in Genetic Epidemiology at l'Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale (INSERM) in Paris. Her research program examines the impact of nutrition during pregnancy and infancy on maternal and child health. She focusses on improving perinatal nutritional interventions and services offered to vulnerable populations living under difficult circumstances (e.g., poverty, low education attainment, drug dependence). She uses an interdisciplinary approach and concerted strategies involving researchers, community stakeholders, healthcare professionals and knowledge users working together to improve the nutrition, lifestyle and well-being of families.
Dr. Fontaine-Bisson is an affiliated researcher with the Institut du Savoir Montfort (Hôpital Montfort) and the Centre de recherche du Centre intégré de santé et des services sociaux (CISSS) de l’Outaouais. She received the Excellence in Teaching Award from the Faculty of Health Sciences (University of Ottawa), the Knowledge mobilization excellence award – national or international category, as well as research funding from the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR), Institut du savoir Montfort and the Consortium national de formation en santé (CNFS).
- Perinatal nutrition (pregnancy and infancy)
- Maternal health and well-being
- Child health and development
- Vulnerable populations
- Food insecurity
- Interdisciplinary research
- Knowledge translation
- Bauman-Fortin J, Ma DWL, Mutch DM, Abdelmagid SA, Badawi A, El-Sohemy A, Fontaine-Bisson B.The Association between Plasma Omega-6/Omega-3 Ratio and Anthropometric Traits Differs by Racial/Ethnic Groups and NFKB1Genotypes in Healthy Young Adults. J Pers Med, 2019, 16(9),1, pii:E13.
- Tessier F, Fontaine-Bisson B, Lefebvre JF, El-Sohemy A, Roy-Gagnon MH, “Investigating gene-gene and gene-environment interactions in the association between overnutrition and obesity-related phenotypes”, Frontiers in Genetics, 2019, 10(151), eCollection.
- Lamers Y, MacFarlane AJ, O’Connor DL, Fontaine-Bisson B, “Periconceptional intake of folic acid among low-risk women: summary of a workshop aiming to align prenatal folic acid supplement composition with current expert guidelines”, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2018, 108(6):1357-1368.
- Savard C, Lemieux S, Weisnagel SJ, Fontaine-Bisson B, Gagnon C, Robitaille J, Morisset AS, “Trimester-specific dietary intakes of pregnant women in comparison with national nutritional guidelines”, Nutrients, 2018, 10 (6), 768, 1-14.
- Dubois L, Diasparra M, Bédard B, Colapinto CK, Fontaine-Bisson B, Tremblay RE, Fraser WD, “Adequacy of nutritional intake during pregnancy in relation to prepregnancy BMI: results from the 3D study”, British Journal of Nutrition, (Accepted, April 2018).
- McGee M, Bainbridge-Whiteside S, Fontaine-Bisson B, “Epigenetic programming and fetal growth outcomes: a crucial role for maternal dietary methyl donor intake”, Nutrition Reviews, 2018, 76 (6):469-478.
- Lauzière J, Michaud-Létourneau I, Beaudry M, Wassef J, Fontaine-Bisson B, "Allaitement – Agir collectivement sur les environnements pour mieux soutenir les familles", Nutrition Science en évolution, Revue de l’Ordre professionnel des diététistes du Québec, Hiver 2018, volume 15, p.31-32.
- Haman F, Fontaine-Bisson B, Pal S, Lamarche B, "Disruptions to Indigenous Food Systems and the Rise of Chronic Diseases", A Land Not Forgotten: How First Nations in Northern Ontario are Striving to Become Food Sovereign through Land Based Cultural Practices, Michael A Robidoux & Courtney Mason, University of Manitoba Press, April 2017, 184 p.
- Dubois L, Diasparra M, Bédard B, Colapinto CK, Fontaine-Bisson B, Morisset AS, Tremblay RE, Fraser WD, “Adequacy of nutritional intake from food and supplements in a cohort of pregnant women in Québec, Canada: the 3D Cohort Study”, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2017, 106 (2), 541-548.
- Dumais V*, Lumingu J, Bédard M, Paquet L, Verma S, Fontaine-Bisson B, "Prevalence of insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in Canadian women at high risk for breast cancer", The Breast Journal, 2017, 23 (4), 482-483.
- Dubois L, Diasparra M, Bogl L, Fontaine-Bisson B, Bédard B, Tremblay R, Kaprio J, Boivin M, "Dietary intake at 9 years and subsequent BMI in adolescent boys and girls: a study of monozygotic twin pairs", Twin Research in Human Genetics, 19 (1), 47-59, 2016.
- Ahmed T*, Fellus I, Gaudet J, MacFarlane AJ, Fontaine-Bisson B, Bainbridge S, "Effect of folic acid on human trophoblast health and function in vitro”, Placenta, 37, 7-15, 2016.
- Burkett KM, Roy-Gagnon MH, Lefebvre JF, Wang C, Fontaine-Bisson B, Dubois L, "A comparison of statistical methods for the discovery of genetic risk factors using longitudinal family study design", Frontiers in Immunology, 19 (6), 589:1-10, 2015.
- Fontaine-Bisson B, Thorburn J, Gregory A, Zhang H, Sun G, "Melanin-concentrating hormone receptor 1 polymorphisms are associated with components of energy balance in the Complex Diseases in the Newfoundland Population: Environment and Genetics (CODING) study", American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 99(2), 384-391, 2014.
- Dubois L, Diasparra M, Bédard B, Kaprio J, Fontaine-Bisson B, Tremblay RE, Boivin M, Pérusse D, "Genetic and environmental influences on eating behaviors in 2.5- and 9-year-old children: a longitudinal twin study.", International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 10(134), 1-12, 2013.
- Dubois L, Diasparra M, Bédard B, Kaprio J, Fontaine-Bisson B, Pérusse D, Tremblay R, Boivin M, "Gene-environment contributions to energy and macronutrient intakes in 9-year-old children: results from the Quebec Newborn Twin Study", Physiology and Behavior, 119, 30-37, 2013.
- Alessi MC, Nicaud V, Scroyen I, Lange C, Saut N, Fumeron F, Marre M, Lantieri O, Fontaine-Bisson B, Juhan-Vague I, Balkau B, Tregouet DA, Morange PE; DESIR Study Group., "Association of vitronectin and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 levels with the risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Results from the D.E.S.I.R. prospective cohort", Thromb Haemost, 106(3), 416-422, 2011.
- Cahill L, Fontaine-Bisson B, El-Sohemy A, "Reply to F Imamura", Am J Clin Nutr, 91(4), 1071, 2010.
- Haman F, Fontaine-Bisson B, Batal M, Imbeault P, Blais J, Robidoux M, "Obesity and type 2 diabetes in Northern Canada’s remote First Nations communities : the dietary dilemma", Int J Obes, 34(Suppl2), S24-31, 2010.
- Fontaine-Bisson B, Renström F, Rolandsson O, Hallmans G, Barroso I, Franks PW, "Evaluating the discriminative power of cardiometabolic genetic risk scores for type 2 diabetes in a Northern Swedish population", Diabetologia, 10(53), 2155-2162, 2010.
- Fontaine-Bisson B, Alessi MC, Saut N, Fumeron F, Marre M, Dutour A, Badens C, Levy N, Tichet J, Juhan-Vague I, Trégouët DA, Balkau B, Morange PE, "Polymorphisms of the lamina maturation pathway and their association with the metabolic syndrome: the DESIR prospective study", J Mol Med, 2(88), 193-201, 2010.
- Cahill L, Fontaine-Bisson B, El-Sohemy A, "Functional genetic variants of glutathione S-transferase protect against serum ascorbic acid deficiency", Am J Clin Nutr, 5(90), 1411-1417, 2009.
- Fontaine-Bisson B, Wolever TMS, Connelly PW, Corey PN, El-Sohemy A, "NF-kB -94Ins/Del ATTG polymorphism modifies the association between dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and HDL-cholesterol in two distinct populations", Atherosclerosis, 4(204), 65-70, 2009.
- Fontaine-Bisson B, El-Sohemy A, "Genetic polymorphisms of TNF-a modify the association between dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and plasma HDL-cholesterol concentrations in a population of young adults", J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics, 1(5), 215-223, 2008.
- Eny K, Fontaine-Bisson B, Wolever TMS, El-Sohemy A, "Genetic variant in the glucose transporter type 2 is associated with higher intakes of sugars in two distinct populations", Physiol Genomics, 33(3), 355-360, 2008.
- Blouin K, Robitaille J, Bélanger C, Fontaine-Bisson B, Couture P, Vohl MC, Tchernof A, "Effect of a six-week national cholesterol education program step 1 diet on plasma sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) levels in overweight premenopausal women", Metab Syndr Relat Disord, 5(1), 22-33, 2007.
- Fontaine-Bisson B, Wolever TMS, Chiasson JL, Rabasa-Lhoret R, Maheux P, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Rodger NW, Ryan E, Corey PN, El-Sohemy A, "Genetic polymorphisms of tumor necrosis factor-alpha modify the association between dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and plasma high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol concentrations in a population of young adults", Am J Clin Nutr, 86(3), 768-774, 2007.
- El-Sohemy A, Stewart L, Khataan N, Fontaine-Bisson B, Kwan P, Ozsungur S, Cornelis MC, "Nutrigenomics of Taste - Impact on Food Preferences and Food Production", Forum Nutr, 60, 176-182, 2007.
- Chui MH, Papanikolaou Y, Fontaine-Bisson B, Turcotte J, Wolever TMS, El-Sohemy A, Chiasson J-L, Rabasa-Lhoret R, Maheux P, Ryan E, Greenwood CE, "The TNF-a -238G/A single nucleotide polymorphism protects against memory decline in older adults with type 2 diabetes", Behav Neuroscience, 121(3), 619-624, 2007.
- Fontaine-Bisson B, Wolever TMS, Chiasson JL, Rabasa-Lhoret R, Maheux P, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Rodger NW, Ryan E, El-Sohemy A, "TNF-a -238G/A genotype alters post-prandial plasma levels of free fatty acids in obese individuals with type 2 diabetes", Metabolism, 56(5), 649-655, 2007.
- Archer WR, Desroches S, Lamarche B, Dériaz O, Landry N, Fontaine-Bisson B, Bergeron J, Couture P, Bergeron N, "Variations in plasma apoCIII levels are strong correlates of the triglyceride response to a high-monounsaturated fatty acid diet and a high-carbohydrate diet", Metabolism, 54(10), 1390-1397, 2005.
- Robitaille J, Fontaine-Bisson B, Couture P, Tchernof A, Vohl MC, "Effect of an oat bran-rich supplement on the metabolic profile of overweight premenopausal women", Ann Nutr Metab, 49(3), 141-148, 2005.
- Paradis AM, Fontaine-Bisson B, Bossé Y, Robitaille J, Lemieux S, Jacques H, Lamarche B, Tchernof A, Couture P, Vohl MC, "The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha Leu162Val polymorphism influences the metabolic response to a dietary intervention altering fatty acid proportions in healthy men", Am J Clin Nutr, 81(2), 523-