Barbara L. Davies
Barbara L. Davies
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 8436
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Barbara Davies RN PhD is a Professor in the School of Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa and she was the Co-Director of the Nursing Best Practice Research Centre (NBPRC) until the summer 2016. She completed a PhD from the University of Toronto in 1999 and then received a five-year career scientist award (2000-2005) from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care of Ontario for a research program entitled Research Transfer for Maternal-Infant Health. Professor Davies also received a five-year Premier’s Research Excellence award (2004-2009) to support a program of research entitled Interventions to Support Successful Sustained Research Transfer in Nursing Practice and Health Care. In 2009, she received the Dean’s Award of Excellence (teaching, research, administration and service). In 2011, she received a Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto acknowledging consistent research funding from provincial and national funding councils, a broad range of publications and the supervision of many Masters and PhD graduate students.
Her current research program focuses on knowledge translation, specifically the implementation of nursing best practice guidelines to improve patient outcomes and nursing service delivery. She is working actively with the Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO) Best Practice Spotlight Organization (BPSO ®) initiatives in hospitals, public health, home health care services and primary health care. Topics include breast feeding, smoking cessation, pain management, fall prevention, wound care as well as delirium-dementia-depression. A major focus involves examining sustainability and spread models to promote evidence-based health care.
As Co-Director of NBPRC, she has been and continues to be a leader in developing the partnership between the University of Ottawa and the RNAO for over 10 years. The mission of NBPRC is to bring the best knowledge to nursing, healthcare and the public to enhance practice and improve people’s health and system outcomes. The growth of the NBPRC in Canada and internationally is remarkable. In 2013 there are 113 individual members and 40 organizational members.
- Davies , B. & Logan, J. (2012) Reading Research: A User-Friendly Guide for Health Professionals. (5th ed). Toronto: Mosby/Elsevier
- Davies, B. & Logan ,J. (2011). Lire des textes de recherche: Guide convivial pour infirmières et autres professionnels de santé, 4 e éd. Toronto: Elsevier.
Chapters in books
- Davies, B., & Edwards, N. (2013). Chapter 3.6: Sustaining knowledge use. In S. E. Straus, J. Tetroe & I. D. Graham (Eds.),Knowledge Translation in Health Care: Moving from Evidence to Practice, Second Edition. Oxford: Wiley Blackwell and BMJ, pages 237 – 248.
- Graham, I., Kachuk, L. Davies B. (2012). Chapter 5. Monitor knowledge use and evaluate outcomes. Toolkit: Implementation of Best Practices Second Edition. Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario.
- Zarins, B. Davies, B. (2012) Chapter 6 Sustain knowledge Use. Toolkit: Implementation of Best Practices Second Edition Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario.
- Davies, B., Tremblay, D., Edwards, N. (2010). Sustaining evidence-based practice systems and measuring the impacts. In D. Bick & I. D. Graham (Eds.), Evaluating the Impact of Implementing Evidence Based Practice. Oxford: STTI/Wiley-Blackwell, pages 165 – 188.
- Davies, B. (2008). Nursing Best Practice Research Vignette. In G. LoBiondo-Wood,
- J. Haber, C. Cameron & M. Singh (Eds.), Nursing Research in Canada second Canadian Edition. Methods and critical appraisal for evidence-based practice (pp.456 – 457). Toronto: Mosby Elsevier.
- Gifford, W., Graham I., Davies, B. (2013). Multi-level barriers analysis to promote guideline based nursing care: A leadership strategy from home health care. Journal of Nursing Management, 21 (5): 762–770
- Gifford, W., Davies, B., Ploeg, J., Eldred, S., Bajnok, I. (2013). Moving knowledge to action: A qualitative study of the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario Advanced Clinical Practice Fellowship Program. Nursing Leadership, 26(1): 32 – 57.
- Bissonnette, J., Woodend, K., Davies, B., Stacey D., Knoll, GA. (2013). Evaluation of a collaborative chronic care approach to improve outcomes in kidney transplant recipients. Clin Transplant. DOI: 10.1111/ctr.12068
- Gifford, W., Davies, B., Graham, I.D., Tourangeau, A., Woodend, K., Lefebre. N. (2013) Developing Leadership Capacity for Guideline Use: A Pilot Cluster Randomized Control Trial. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing DOI: 10.1111/j.1741-6787.2012.00254.x
- Davies, B. (2012). Caesareans by request. The research file. Canadian Nurse 108 (7): 12.
- Higuchi, K., Downey, A., Davies, B, Bajnok, I., Waggott, M. (2012). Using the NHS sustainability framework to understand the activities and resource implications of Canadian nursing guideline early adopters. Journal of Clinical Nursing. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04193.x
- MacDonald, J., Edwards, N., Davies, B., Marck, P., Guernsey, J. R. (2012). Priority setting and policy advocacy by nursing associations: A scoping review and implications using a socio-ecological whole systems lens. Health Policy.107 (1): 31 – 43.
- MacDonald, J., Davies B., Edwards, N., Marck, P., Guernsey, J.R. (2012). Priority setting and policy advocacy for community environmental health by nursing associations: A conceptual framework to guide research. Aporia. 4 (1) 18-29.
- Watson, J., Hodnett, E., Armson, A., Davies, B., Watt-Watson, J. (2012). A randomized controlled trial of the effect of intrapartum intravenous fluid management on breastfed newborn weight loss. JOGNN. 41, 24-32 DOI: 10.1111/j.1552-6909.2011.01321.x
- Peterson, W., Davies, B., Rashotte, J., Salvador, A., Trépanier, M.J. (2012) Hospital-based perinatal nurses identify the need to improve nursing care of adolescent mothers. JOGNN Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, 41, 358-368 DOI: 10.1111/j.1552-6909.2012.01369.x
- Graham, K., Davies, B., Woodend, K., Simpson, J., Mantha, S. (2011). Impacting Canadian Public Health Nurses’ Job Satisfaction. Canadian Journal of Public Health 102 (6) 427-431.
- Higuchi, K, Davies B., Edwards, N., Ploeg, J., & Virani, T. (2011) Implementation of clinical guidelines for adults with asthma and diabetes: A three year follow-up evaluation of nursing care. Journal of Clinical Nursing 20, 1329-1338 , doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03590.x
- Gifford, W., Davies, B., Tourangeau, A., & Lefebre, N. (2011). Developing team leadership to facilitate guideline utilization: Planning and evaluating a 3-momth intervention strategy. Journal of Nursing Management. 19, 121-132. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2834.2010.01140.x. Epub 2010 Nov 16
- Clement, C., Stiell, I., Davies B., O’Connor, A., Brehaut J., Sheehan, P., Clavet T., Leclair C., & MacKenzie T. (2011). Perceived facilitators and barriers to clinical clearance of the cervical spine by emergency department nurses: A major step towards changing practice in the emergency department. International Emergency Nursing doi:10.1016/j.iemj.2009.12.002 19, 44-52.
- Groll, D., Davies, B., MacDonald, J., Nelson, S., Virani, T. (2010). Evaluation of the psychometric properties of the phlebitis and infiltration scales for the assessment of complications of peripheral vascular access devices. Journal of Infusion Nursing33(6):385-390, November/December 2010. doi: 10.1097/NAN.0b013e3181f85a73
- Ploeg, J., Skelly, J., Rowan, M., Edwards, N, Davies, B , Grinspun, D., Bajnok, I. Downey, A. (2010). The Role of Nursing Best Practice Champions in Diffusing Practice Guidelines: A Mixed Methods Study. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing .7 (4): 238-251. Award Sigma Theta Tau International 2011 Best of WORLDviews on Evidence-Based Nursing
- Stiell, I., Clement, C., O’Connor, A., Davies, B., Leclair, C., Sheehan, P., Clavet, T., Beland, C., Mackenzie, T., & Wells, G. (2010). Multicenter prospective validation of use of the Canadian C-Spine Rule by triage nurses in the emergency department.Canadian Medical Association Journal. 182(11): 1173-1179.
- Davies, B. (2010) Last Word- Nursing research wants its due. Canadian Nurse, 106(2):46 La recherche infirmière veut ce qui lui revient Infirmière Canadienne 11,2:32
- Stacey, D., Higuchi, K., Menard, P., Davies, B., Graham, I., & O’Connor, A. (2009). Integrating patient decision support in an undergraduate nursing curriculum: An implementation project. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 6:1, Article 10.
- Gifford, W.A., Davies, B., Graham I., Lefebre, N., Tourangeau, A., & Woodend , K. (2008). A mixed methods pilot study with a cluster randomized control trial to evaluate the impact of a leadership intervention on guideline implementation in home care nursing. Implementation Science, 3:51.
- Payant, L., Davies B., Graham, I., Peterson. W., & Clinch, J. (2008). Nurses’ intentions to provide continuous labor support to women. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing, 37(4):405-414.
- Smith, D., Edwards, N., Materns, P., Varcoe, C., & Davies B. (2008). The influence of governance on organizations experiences of improving care for aboriginal people: Decolonizing possibilities. Pimatisiwin: A Journal of Indigenous and Aboriginal Community Health, 6(1): 3-28.
- Mantha, S., & Davies, B., Moyer, A., Crowe, C. (2008). Providing responsive care to new mothers with high and low confidence. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, 33(5):307-314.
- Gifford, W. & Davies B. (2008). Doing the right things to do things right: A commentary to: Leadership and the use of evidence in practice. Worldviews on Evidence Based Nursing, 170-171
- D’Amour, D., Timmons, V., Sheps, S., & Davies, B. (2008). Knowledge to action: The development of training strategies. Healthcare Policy, 3 Special Issue 68-79. Des connaissances à la pratique: la création de stratégies de formation
- Davies, B., Edwards, N., Ploeg, J., & Virani, T. (2008). Insights about the process and impact of implementing nursing guidelines on delivery of care in hospitals and community settings.BMC Health Services Research, 8 (29): 1-44.
- Sprague, A., Oppenheimer, L., McCabe L, Graham I., & Davies B. (2008). Knowledge to action: Implementing a guideline for second stage labor. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, 33(3): 179-188.