Room: RGN 3253
Telephone: (613) 562-5800 ext. 8441
Work E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pauline Darling completed her undergraduate degree in Biochemistry-Nutrition at the University of Ottawa, her MSc at the Universite de Montreal and her PhD in Nutritional Sciences at the University of Toronto. She completed her clinical dietetic training at Kingston General Hospital. Prior to joining the faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Ottawa, she served as Coordinator of Nutrition and Dietetic Research, and Associate Scientist Keenan Research Centre in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute at St Michael’s Hospital and is Assistant Professor in the Department of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Toronto. In this capacity she directed the Combined MSc-Dietetic Internship program aimed at enhancing research training of dietitians. She has supervised 10 graduate students and 65 dietetic interns. Dr Darling is a registered dietitian and is a member of Dietitians of Canada, the American Nutrition Society, the Canadian Association of Nephrology Dietitians, the European Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ESPEN) and serves on the Advisory Council of the Canadian Nutrition Society. Her current research interests in clinical nutrition include dietary intake and the nutritional modulation of phosphorus, homocysteine and other uremic retention solutes in patients with chronic kidney disease.
- Influence of dietary protein and fiber intakes on uremic retention solutes in patients with chronic kidney disease.
- Contribution of food additives to the phosphorus and potassium content of packaged meat, poultry and fish products.
- Malnutrition screening and nutritional status of patients with cancer.
- Evaluation of therapeutic nutrition education programs.
- Chiavaroli L, Mirrahimi A, Sievenpiper JLS, Jenkins DJA, Darling PB. Dietary fiber effects in chronic kidney disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled feeding trials. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2014 Nov 12 [Epub ahead of print].
- Keith M, Brissette C, Darling PB. Reflections of perceived preparedness of dietetic internship graduates following entry into practice. Can J Diet Pract Res 2014:75 (4): 202-205.
- Omand JA, Carsley S, Darling PB, Parkin PC, Birken CS, Urquia ML, Khovratovich M, DeGroot J, Maguire JL. Evaluating the accuracy of a geographic closed-ended approach to ethnicity measurement, a practical alternative. Annals in Epidemiology 2014;24(4):246-243.
- Omand J, Darling PB, Parkin PC, Birken CS, Maguire J. Non-western immigrant children have lower 25-hydroxyvitamin D than children from western families. Public Health Nutrition, 2013 May 24:1-8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Stephenson AL, Mannik LA, Walsh S, Brotherwood M, Robert R, Darling PB, Nisenbaum R, Moerman J, Stanojevic S. Longitudinal trends in nutritional status and the relationship between lung function and body mass index in cystic fibrosis. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013;97(4):872-7.
- Gabrielson D, Scaffidi D, Leung E, Stoyanoff L, Robinson J, Nisenbaum R, Brezden-Masley, Darling PB. Use of an abridged scored Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (abPG-SGA) as a nutritional screening tool for cancer patients in an outpatient setting. Nutrition in Cancer 2013;65(2):234-239.
- Kanampuza J, S Donnelly, P McFarlane, C Chan, JD House, PB Pencharz, and PB Darling. Glutathione and riboflavin status in patients undergoing home nocturnal hemodialysis versus standard hemodialysis. J Ren Nutr. 2010 May;20(3):199-208.
- Kannampuzha J, Darling PB, Maguire GF, Donnelly S, McFarlane P, Chan CT, Connelly PW. Paraoxonase 1 arylesterase activity and mass are reduced and inversely related to C-reactive protein in patients on either standard or home nocturnal hemodialysis. Clinical Nephrol 2010 Feb;73(2):131-8.
- Rafii M, Elango R, House JD, Courtney-Martin G, Darling PB, Fisher L, Pencharz PB. Measurement of homocysteine and related metabolites in human plasma and urine by liquid chromatography electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2009 Oct 15;877 (28):3282-91
- Keith M, Walsh NA, Darling PB, Hanninen S, Barr A, Sole MJ. B vitamin deficiency in hospitalized patients with congestive heart failure. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009 Aug;109(8):1406-10.
- Galaski A, Peng WW, Ellis M, Darling P, Common A, Tucker E. Gastrostomy Tube Placement at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto: a retrospective review of frequency, indications, complications and outcomes. Can J Gastroenterol 2009; 23: 109-114.
- Bishara R, Dunn MS, Merko SE, Darling P. Volume of foremilk, hindmilk, and total milk produced by mothers of very preterm infants born at less than 28 weeks of gestation. J Hum Lact. 2009 Aug;25(3):272-9.
- Bishara R, Dunn MS, Merko SE, Darling PB. Nutrient composition of hindmilk produced by mothers of very low birth weight infants born at less than 28 weeks gestation. J Hum Lact. 2008 May;24(2):159-67.