Room: THN 224
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 3125
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Dr Nicolas Bordenave’s research aims at understanding molecular interactions between macro and phytonutrients in food systems. His lab explores how such interactions affect the respective nutritional properties of both macro and phytonutrients. In particular, he is interested in how the interactions between phenolic compounds and starch or dietary fibers impact glycemic response and phenolic’s bioavailability in cereal, fruit and vegetable-based food systems. Ultimately, this leads to developing formulation and processing strategies to tailor the nutritional properties of such food products.
Prior to joining uOttawa School of Nutrition Sciences, Nicolas held various research positions in PepsiCo’s R&D centers in Chicago (IL, USA) and Leicester (UK), working on the relationship between formulation, processing and nutritional properties of cereals (e.g. oats), fruits and vegetables (e.g. orange) and sports beverages. He also completed a post-doctoral training in the Department of Food Science and the Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research at Purdue University (IN, USA).
- Polyphenol-starch and polyphenol-dietary fibers non-covalent interactions
- Impact of polyphenol-carbohydrate interactions on glycemic response and polyphenol bioavailability
- Processing and formulation of cereals, fruits and vegetables for preventive nutrition
- T.M.S. Wolever, B.J.-W. van Klinken, N. Bordenave, M. Kaczmarczyk, D. vanVlierbergen, S. Shirke, A.L. Jenkins, Y. Chu and L. Harkness. Effect of varying slowly digestible starch and protein content of food bars: no correlation between glucose and insulin responses and in-vitro starch digestibility. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2016, 104(4), 995-1003
- H. Dong, L.J. Sargent, Y. Chatzidiakou, C. Saunders, L. Harkness, N. Bordenave, I. Rowland, J.P.E. Spencer, and J.A. Lovegrove. Orange pomace fibre increases a composite scoring of subjective ratings of hunger and fullness in healthy adults. Appetite. 2016, 107, 478-485.
- C.J. Rebello, W.D. Johnson, C.K. Martin, H. Han., Y. Chu, N. Bordenave, B.J.-W. van Klinken, M. O’Shea, F.L. Greenway. Instant Oatmeal Increases Satiety and Reduces Energy intake Compared to a Ready-to-eat Oat-based Breakfast Cereal: A randomized crossover trial. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2016, 35(1), 41-49.
- N. Bordenave †, L. B. Kock, M. Abernathy, J.C.Parcon, A.A. Gulvady, B.J.-W. van Klinken, P. Kasturi. Toward a more accurate evaluation of foods and beverages glycemic response: recommendations for portion size calculation. Food Chemistry. 2015, 167, 229-235.
- C.J. Rebello, Y. Chu, W.D. Johnson, C.K. Martin, H. Han., N. Bordenave, Y. Shi, M. O’Shea, F.L. Greenway. The role of meal viscosity and oat beta-glucan characteristics in human appetite control: a randomized crossover trial. Nutrition Journal. 2014, 13(1), 49.
- N. Bordenave †, D. Kemmer, S. Smolic, R. Franz, F. Girard, V. Coma. Evaluation of food packaging-related properties and biodegradability of chitosan and paper-based materials. Journal of Renewable Materials. 2014, 2(2), 1-11.
- N. Bordenave, S. Janaswamy, Y. Yao. Influence of starch structure on swelling and leaching properties of starch microparticles. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2014, 103(15), 234–243.
- C.J. Rebello, W.D. Johnson, C.K. Martin, W. Xie, M. O’Shea, A. Kurilich, N. Bordenave, S. Andler, B.J.-W. van Klinken, Y. Chu, F.L. Greenway. Acute effect of oatmeal on subjective measures of appetite and satiety compared to a ready-to-eat breakfast cereal: a randomized crossover trial. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2013, 32(4), 272-279.
- N. Bordenave, B.R. Hamaker, M.G. Ferruzzi. Invited Review: Nature and consequences of non-covalent interactions between flavonoids and macronutrients in foods. Food & Function. 2013, 5(1), 18-34.
- M.G. Ferruzzi, N. Bordenave, B.R. Hamaker. Does flavor impact function? Potential consequences of polyphenol-protein interactions in delivery and bioactivity of flavan-3-ols from foods. Physiology and Behavior. 2012, 107(4), 591-597.
- C.Y. Kim, N. Bordenave, M. G. Ferruzzi, A. Safavy, K. H. Kim. Modification of curcumin with polyethylene glycol enhances the delivery of curcumin in preadipocytes and its antiadipogenic properties. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2011, 59(3), 1012-1020.
- E.G. Kean*, N. Bordenave*, G. Ejeta, B.R. Hamaker, M.G. Ferruzzi. Carotenoid bioaccessibility from whole grain and decorticated yellow endosperm sorghum porridge. Journal of Cereal Science. 2011, 54, 450-459. (*:co-first authors)
- N. Bordenave, S. Grelier, V. Coma. Hydrophobization and bioactivity of chitosan and paper-based packaging materials. Biomacromolecules. 2010, 11(1), 88-96.
- N. Bordenave, S. Grelier, V. Coma. Advances on the selective C-6 oxidation of chitosan. Biomacromolecules. 2008, 9(9), 2377-2382.
- N. Bordenave, F. Pichavant, S. Grelier, V. Coma. Water and moisture susceptibility of chitosan and paper-based materials: structure-properties relationships. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2007, 55(23), 9479-9488.
- S. Balasubramanian, N. Bordenave, L. Harkness, B.W. Hitchcock, M.J. Hsieh, R.L. Jordan, J.D. Mathews, T. Rivera, C. Saunders, J.E. Shin, B. Small, A. Wilson. Preparation and incorporation of co-products into beverages to achieve metabolic and gut health benefits. US 20140234476 A1. Application filed: Apr 25, 2014.
International conferences, Symposia and Published abstracts
- N. Bordenave †. Impact of processing on physicochemical properties and nutritional function of dietary fibers: Balancing consumer taste and tangible health effects. Invited symposium. 251st ACS National Spring Meeting, San Diego, CA, March 13-17, 2016.
- N. Bordenave †, L. B. Kock, M. Abernathy, J.C. Parcon, A.A. Gulvady, B.J.-W. van Klinken, P. Kasturi. Investigation of portion size calculations for the measurement of glycemic response to foods. Experimental Biology 2015, Boston, MA, March 28-April 1 2015.
- N. Bordenave †, S.M. Tosh, N.P. Ames, B. Ou, L.B. Kock, Y. Brummer, T. Exley, C. Rhymer, K. Xie, Y. Chu. Oats β-glucans molecular weight and related nutritional functionality: toward a standardized analytical assessment. Invited symposium. 247th ACS National Spring Meeting, Dallas, TX, March 16-20, 2014.
- N. Bordenave †. Food industry strategies for glucose management. Invited symposium. IFT13 Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, July 13-17, 2013.
- B. J.-W. van Klinken, Y. Chu, N. Bordenave, C. Vink, S. de Jong, R. Ruijschop, T. Lambers and M. Oshea. Predicting satiety responses of cereals in vitro: oatmeal shows gastric gelling behavior. Experimental Biology, Boston, MA, April 20-24, 2013. FASEB Journal. 2013. 27, 126.5.
- C. J. Rebello, W. Johnson, C. Martin, N. Bordenave, B. J. W. van Klinken, M. O'Shea, Y. Chu and F. Greenway. Effect of two oat-based breakfast cereals on appetite, satiety, and food intake. Experimental Biology, Boston, MA, April 20-24, 2013. FASEB Journal. 2013. 27, 126.4.
- K.-H. Kim, C. Y. Kim, N. Bordenave, M. G. Ferruzzi and A. Safavy. Improved bioavailability and anti-adipogenic property of water-soluble curcumin conjugates. Experimental Biology, Washington, DC, April 9-13, 2011. FASEB Journal. 2011. 25, 771.8.
- N. Bordenave †, M.G. Ferruzzi, B.R. Hamaker. Stability of model polyphenols through processing of porridges. AACCi Annual meeting, Savannah, GA, October 24-27, 2010. Cereal Foods World (Supplement). 2010, 55(4), A20.
- N. Bordenave †, Y. Yao. Influence of starch structure on the swelling and leaching of starch microparticles. AACCi Annual meeting, Baltimore, MD, September 13-16, 2009. Cereal Foods World (Supplement). 2009, 54(4), A17.
- N. Bordenave †, S. Grelier and V. Coma. Antimicrobial food packaging materials based on chitosan-coated papers. 234th ACS National Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, August 19-23, 2007.
- N. Bordenave †, S. Grelier and V. Coma. Improved water and moisture susceptibility of chitosan and paper-based materials by incorporation of fatty acids. PTS Symposium, Munich, Germany, June 19-20, 2007.
- N. Bordenave †, S. Grelier and V. Coma. Water and moisture susceptibility of chitosan and paper-based materials: a low resolution NMR investigation. Italic4 Science & Technology of biomasses: advances and challenges, Roma, Italy, May 8-10, 2007.
- N. Bordenave † and V. Coma. Perspectives for the antimicrobial packaging systems for meat preservation. Invited Symposium. International symposium on meat safety: from abattoir to consumer, Valencia, Spain, February 14-15, 2007.
- P. Kasturi and N. Bordenave †. Oats starch. In: Oats nutrition and processing: heart health and beyond. Y. Chu, Ed.; IFT Press-Wiley-Blackwell: Oxford, UK, 2014.
- M. Kale, B. R. Hamaker and N. Bordenave †. Oats beta-glucans: chemistry and physiology. In: Oats nutrition and processing: heart health and beyond. Y. Chu, Ed.; IFT Press-Wiley-Blackwell: Oxford, UK, 2014.
† denotes corresponding author or presenter.