Nursing History Research Unit Scholarship Award
The Nursing History Research Unit is offering an annual scholarship of $10,000 (maximum) for PhD, MScN, or MA students who want to undertake a thesis project on issues of health and healthcare using historical perspectives. MScN and MA students must be in the second year of their program to qualify. Applications must be submitted by 1 May of each year. The successful applicant will be notified late spring and will take up the award the following fall. Award winners may re-apply each year but are not guaranteed funding.
Purpose: To promote the use of historical perspectives on social, cultural, and political aspects of nursing and/or health, broadly defined.
Eligibility Requirements: Students must be
1. Registered fulltime in a graduate program in the Faculty of Health Sciences, History, or Women’s Studies at the University of Ottawa.
2. Committed to research on historical perspectives on social, cultural, and political aspects of health-related topics to develop a critical analysis of contemporary issues
3. Willing to be supervised or co-supervised by a member of the Nursing History Research Unit.
4. Have demonstrated ability in writing in either English or French.
5. Willing to take relevant course(s) offered by the Unit and/or other historical, methodological courses as required by supervisor.
Applicants must submit a two-page (maximum) proposal. The proposal should include:
1. A clear description of the project and the rationale or objectives for the choice of this topic.
2. The importance of the project for the history of health (care) or nursing.
3. A small literature review to indicate some familiarity with the context of the project
4. If possible, an indication of the primary source material to be used.
Applications are subjected to a rigorous review process by a Unit committee and the strength of the proposal will determine its priority for funding.
1. Students must provide proof of current enrollment or intent to enrol in a graduate program in the Faculty of Health Sciences, History, or Women’s Studies at the University of Ottawa.
2. Applications must be completed fully and signed.
3. The application form must be submitted electronically (attached to an email) to Jayne Elliott (jelliott@uOttawa.ca), Research Facilitator of the Nursing History Research Unit, by 1 May of the year for which the award is requested.