Student Internship Program
APA 4211 Internship/Clinical Experience is a 6-credit course that requires students to complete 120 practical internship hours within a specific field of human kinetics. This capstone experience allows students to make links with the knowledge acquired during their undergraduate studies and the realities of a real work environment. Internships are usually completed with an organization located in the National Capital Region.
- Apply previously learned concepts and theories in a professional work environment.
- Critically reflect on the concepts and theories learned and how they relate to the realities of the internship location.
- Learn the various policies, methods, procedures and approaches used in a specific field of human kinetics.
- Gain practical work experience.
- Develop a network of key contacts and references.
- Students must be registered to both sections of APA 4211, specifically: APA 42111 (Fall) and APA 42112(Winter).
- Attendance to all in-class sessions is mandatory.
- Students will need to complete certain internship requirements (Police Record Check, CPR and First Aid certification, record of immunizations) before starting their internship. The specific requirements will vary depending on the nature of the student’s internship experience.
- A minimum of 120 hours must be completed and accounted for by a designated internship supervisor.
- Internship hours should only be completed between the official start and end dates of that year’s university courses. A specific schedule will be created every year.
- A minimum of 60 hours must be completed in each semester.
- A minimum of 7 weeks must be completed in the fall semester.
- A minimum of 7 weeks must be completed in the winter semester.
- Students who wish to complete an internship with the School of Human Kinetics must be enrolled in an undergraduate program with the School of Human Kinetics.
- Students must have completed 81 university credits before registering to APA4211
Office of Risk Management
Students will need to complete certain internship requirements before starting their internship. The specific requirements will vary depend on the nature of the student’s internship experience.
Internship requirements could include:
- A CPR-HCP and First Aid certification.
- A full record of immunization.
- A police record check for vulnerable sector.
- A flu vaccine.
All Internship Requirements should be sent directly to the University of Ottawa’s Risk
For more information please contact: email@example.com
Office of Risk Management:
1 Nicholas St. (room 1216)
CANADA K1N 7B7
Meet the Internship Coordinator
The Internship Coordinator will begin meeting with students several months in advance of the internship start date. The Internship Coordinator will help students explore their internship options and can suggest specific internship locations. The Internship Coordinator must approve every student’s internship location, their designated internship supervisor as well as the student’s tasks and responsibilities.
To schedule a meeting, please email Daniel Crête, firstname.lastname@example.org
APA 4211 is a 6-credit course offered by the School of Human Kinetics of the University of Ottawa. Students can register to APA 4211 through uoZone, just like any other university course.
Fields of Interest
Some host organizations want their internship students to possess specific foundational knowledge prior starting their internship. A proper course profile will also have a positive impact on a student’s learning experience during their internship. For these reasons, students should choose their 3rd year courses in accordance with their desired internship domain.
To better guide students before they register to APA4211, the following is a list of recommended APA3000 level courses students should try to complete before starting their internship as well as some APA4000 level courses that could be completed during a student’s internship experience.
Kinesiology and Rehabilitation
- APA3125 Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries
- APA3150 Neural Control of Human Movement
- APA3325 Fitness Training Principles
- APA 4313 Exercise and Disease Prevention
- APA 4123 Physical Activity Counselling
- APA 4118 Biomechanical Basis of Injury
- APA 4150 Principles in Psychomotor Rehabilitation
- APA 4160 Fitness Testing and Exercise Prescription
Sports Management and Health Promotion
- APA 2134 Administration of Leisure, Sport and Physical Activity Services
- APA 3113 Management of sporting events and festivals
- APA 4145 Sport and Recreation Marketing
- APA 3122 Physical Activity and Health
- APA 3143 Physical Activity and Community Health
- APA 3142 Sociology of Health in Canada
- APA 4313 Exercise and Disease Prevention
Coaching and High-Performance Training
- APA 2111 Intervention Theories
- APA 3111 Intervention Observation and Experimentation
- APA 3116 Principles of Coaching
- APA 3119 Coaching Training Methods
- APA 3324 Technique and strategies in sport
- APA 3325 Fitness Training Principles
- APA 4116 Applied Sport and Performance Psychology
Interview with host organization
All host organizations will request the resume and a cover letter of interested student-candidates. A formal interview will take place prior to the start of the fall semester. During the interview, the host organization will present their expectations and discuss the student’s potential tasks and responsibilities. After the interview, the host organization will make the final decision to either accept or reject the student’s internship application.
For more information regarding cover letters and resumes, please visit the University of Ottawa’s Career Development Centre: https://www.uottawa.ca/career-development-centre/job-search
APA4211 follows the University of Ottawa’s alphanumeric grading system. The following assignments will determine the student’s final mark:
- Preliminary internship report: 5%
- Internship analysis presentation: 20%
- Evidence-based practice report: 10%
- Weekly journal entries: 5%
- Internship analysis report: 20%
- Evaluations by the internship supervisor: 40%
Community Partners 2020-2021
- Académie de hockey de Francis Wathier
- Ottawa Lions Track and Field Club
- Stride Hockey
- Strike Zone Performance
- BodyVision Fitness
- Bruyère Continuing Care
- Campus 3
- Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services, Personnel Support Programs
- Capital Strength Training Systems
- Fit Quest
- GeeGees High Performance Centre
- Sandy Hill Community Health Centre
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute
- University of Ottawa Physical Activity Counselling
- University of Ottawa Varsity Sports
- All Saints Catholic High School
- Canterbury Highschool
- Darcy McGee High School
- Earl of March Secondary School
- École élémentaire catholique Sainte-Bernadette
- École élémentaire publique Rose des Vents
- École La Source
- École secondaire catholique Franco-Cité
- École secondaire catholique l'Escale
- École secondaire catholique régionale de Hawkesbury
- École secondaire de l'Île
- École secondaire l'Escale
- St. Patrick's High School
- Stephen Leacock Public School
- Stratford District Secondary School
Recreation and Leisure
- Abilities Centre Ottawa
- Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa
- Municipalité de La Pêche
- AMPED Physiotherapy
- AMPOS Orthopaedics
- Apollo Physical Therapy
- Back in Motion Plus
- BackTracks Health Centre
- Bioped Orleans
- Expanding Horizons Occupational Therapy
- Holistic Wellness Physio
- Human 2.0
- Integrate Healthcare Collective
- Kinatex Sports Physio
- Lalonde Physio
- Lifemark Neurologic Physiotherapy
- MedSport Ottawa
- Nepean Sports Medicine & Physiotherapy Centre
- Oaktree Health Ottawa
- On the ball Pediatric Physio and Occupational Therapy
- Optimal Physiotherapy
- Optimize Physiotherapy and Sports Medicine
- Ottawa and District Physiotherapy Clinic
- Ottawa Physiotherapy & Sports Clinics
- Ottawa-Carleton Physiotherapy & Sports injury Centre
- Performance Sports Therapy
- Physio des Collines
- Prime Physio Plus
- Pro Physio and Sports Medicine Centres
- University of Ottawa Health Services Physiotherapy Clinic
- Vitality Physiotherapy
- Vitality Physiotherapy and Wellness Centre Riverside South
- Wellness House
- XpertPhysio & Sports Injury Centre
- Excellence sportive Outaouais
- Perfect Skating
- RA Centre
- Ringette Canada
- Special Olympics Ontario
Get More Info
For more information regarding the internship program of the School of Human Kinetics, please contact:
School of Human Kinetics
University of Ottawa