Dean Lucie Thibault
Office: 538-540 KE 203
Welcome to the Faculty of Health Sciences!
Health matters to everyone. Being healthy is essential to every individual’s well-being, both from a personal perspective and from a social and economic one. The Faculty of Health Sciences deals with many aspects of health, as demonstrated by the teaching and research activities of the Faculty’s five schools: the Interdisciplinary School of Health Sciences, the School of Human Kinetics, the School of Nursing, the School of Nutrition Sciences, and the School of Rehabilitation Sciences.
By offering undergraduate and graduate programs in French, in English, and in combinations of both languages, the Faculty plays a very important role in training future healthcare professionals and researchers. We remain at the forefront of knowledge and current practices thanks to 125 faculty members and over 80 support staff members. Moreover, we collaborate with over 250 partners across Canada and around the world to provide our students with opportunities to benefit from top-notch clinical and practical experiences.
In choosing our Faculty’s programs, you have selected an ideal, innovative environment in which to pursue a healthcare education!
I take great pleasure in welcoming you to the Faculty.
Structure of the Faculty
The Vice-Dean Academic Program Quality and Delivery assists the Dean by providing strategic leadership on educational matters within the Faculty of Health Sciences by:
- Promoting and facilitating the integration of knowledge on novel pedagogies and best practices for designing and delivering programs at undergraduate and graduate levels;
- Supporting the quality and the unicity in content and delivery for existing and new programs within the Faculty;
- Providing oversight for the evaluations and reviews of the programs within the Faculty, in accordance the University of Ottawa’s Institutional Quality Assurance Processes (IQAP);
- Exploring strategic partnerships, collaborations, and distinctive programming options for the Faculty;
- Promoting and implementing academic regulations and processes, including student accommodation and academic appeals.
The Vice-Dean Academic - Student and Professional Affairs supports the assists the Dean by providing strategic leadership and oversight for optimizing student capacity and trajectory through the programs of study in the Faculty of Health Science by:
- Facilitating the development of a Faculty vision for strategic enrollment management in line with best practices in the field.
- Supporting and enhancing the alignment of different components of the student trajectory with the Faculty’s strategic enrollment management vision, including student experience, recruitment, admissions, financial aid, and factors that influence retention and graduation.
- Promoting and facilitating the understanding of potential and current student profiles to support innovative program development and recruitment.
- Providing oversight for the evaluations and reviews of the programs within the Faculty, in accordance with professional accreditation policies, procedures and standards for each health profession, including for academic and practicum requirements.
- Supporting multidisciplinary initiatives and collaboration between students, faculty and staff, as well as representatives of affiliated institutions.
The Vice-Dean, Governance and Secretary assists the Dean by assuming functions related to the good and efficient governance of the Faculty and serves as secretary of the Faculty. The role of the Vice-Dean, Governance and Secretary is to serve as a consultant and resource person to the Dean, Vice-Deans, and Associate Deans and Directors for the interpretation and application of University and Faculty policies and regulations. The Vice-Dean Governance and Secretary consults with the Dean in the development of contractual agreements between the Faculty and partner organizations. The Vice-Dean Governance and Secretary collaborates with the Dean on grievances, appeals, and complaints that may result in litigation. The Vice-Dean, Governance and Secretary serves as a member on the Faculty Council and on the Executive Committee of the Faculty of Health Sciences and provides reports on activities under their portfolio, acts as Secretary on these committees, and is an ex officio member of Senate.
The Vice-Dean, Research assists the Dean by assuming functions related to the development, promotion, planning and coordination of the Faculty’s research. The role of the Vice-Dean, Research is to contribute actively to the development of the Faculty Strategic Plan in support of the quest for excellence and competitiveness in research and the advancement of knowledge in the health sciences. The Vice-Dean Research serves as a member on the Faculty Council and on the Executive Committee of the Faculty of Health Sciences and provides reports on activities under their portfolio.
The Chief Administration Officer assists the Dean by providing strategic and operational leadership in the planning, development and implementation of activities such as budget planning and control, financial strategies, human resources management, physical and IT oversight in order to ensure efficient and effective functioning of the Faculty's teaching and research, taking into account the strategic orientations and Faculty priorities established by the Dean's Office and in accordance with the mission of the University. The Chief Administration Officer serves as a member on the Faculty Council and on the Executive Committee of the Faculty of Health Sciences and provides reports on activities under their portfolio.