Master's with thesis: up to $550
Ph.D. and fast-track: up to $800
A call for applications* will be released twice a year:
- 1st call will go out in January for conference to be held between May 1st – October 31st
- 2nd call will go out in July for conference to be held November 1st – April 30th
It is important to submit your completed application to the Dean’s Office prior to the deadline highlighted in the call for applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered eligible, nor will applications that are received after the deadline.
*The call for applications is for upcoming conferences only, no grants will be considered after the fact.
Master's with thesis students applying for a conference travel grant must:
- Be registered full time in a thesis program at the time of the conference;
- Present their research at the conference within the first six terms from their initial registration in the Master's program.
Ph.D. students applying for a conference travel grant must:
- Be registered full time in a Ph.D. program at the time of the conference;
- Have completed at least two terms in their Ph.D. program;
- Present their research at the conference within the first 15 terms from their initial registration in the Ph.D. program (the first term of the transfer to Ph.D. is taken as reference for fast-track students).
- A maximum of one grant can be awarded to a student in a master’s with thesis program;
- A maximum of three grants can be awarded to a student in a Ph.D. program through the duration of their program; a maximum of two grants per fiscal year (between May 1 and April 30);
- A maximum of four grants can be awarded to a student who fast-track into a Ph.D. program, including any conference travel grant received while being registered in a Master's program; a maximum of two grants per fiscal year (between May 1 and April 30);
- This grant can only be used to cover the cost of transportation (train, plane, bus, taxi, kilometers or other), and at the most economical rate possible. No other travel expenses are eligible;
- The maximum amount awarded varies according to the conference location (see the maps);
- Conferences taking place in the Ottawa-Gatineau area are not eligible;
- For students who are not departing from Ottawa to attend the conference (e.g. exchange, internship, mobility, or in cotutelle at a host institution), the maximum amount awarded varies according to the distance travelled from the location of the host institution (see map);
- The publication and presentation must deal with research results obtained during the current program and be related to the thesis;
- The applicant must be the first author (as listed on the official publication or conference documents) and the presenter;
- The applicant must obtain a financial contribution for the trip (a minimum of $100 is required) from their thesis supervisor.
- Submit the complete and signed application form and all supporting documents listed in the section below by email to email@example.com
- Wait for the acceptance or refusal letter from the Deans Office, Faculty of Health Sciences, by email.
- After the conference, complete the Request for reimbursement of travel expenses form (.xls) and return it, along with original receipts (including boarding passes) and a proof of attendance at the conference, to the Deans Office, Faculty of Health Sciences. Include a proof of exchange rates used if applicable.
- The applicant will receive the reimbursement. The amount awarded is the lowest between:
- the actual cost of the transportation; or
- the amount appearing on the geographic map.
Supporting documents to be submitted with the application
- A complete and signed application form with confirmed financial contribution and a detailed recommendation from the thesis supervisor;
- An abstract of the publication to be presented;
- A formal indication of the list of authors (cover page of publication or extract from the conference documentation or exchanges with the conference organizers that evidence the relevant publication and the list of authors);
- A written proof that the publication has been accepted for presentation at the conference (issue by the conference organizers);
Master's with thesis students (PDF)
Form - Ph.D. and fast-track students (PDF)
Request for reimbursement of travel expenses (.xls)
Geographical zone – masters program
Geographical zone – doctoral and fast-track programs
* The information on this page is subject to change without notice and does not represent a commitment from the University of Ottawa.