Chairs, awards and prizes
Research chairs are a vital way of promoting a discipline, a strategic area or even an experienced researcher's program that has earned peer endorsement for its impact. Our research chairs are exceptional teachers and researchers who are always pushing the boundaries of knowledge in their fields. Research chairs are allocated partly based on research programs, but also based on sustained contribution to education, student mentoring and collaboration with other researchers.
Canada Research Chairs - CRC
The Canada Research Chair program is an initiative of the three federal research funding agencies (the “tri-council”: CIHR, NSERC, and SSHRC) and is part of a national strategy to strengthen Canada’s competitiveness in research and development. Chairholders are recognized for their excellence in research in their field of study, as well as their ability to train highly qualified staff.
- Roanne Thomas, CRC in Qualitative Health Research with Marginalized Populations
University Research Chairs - URC
University Research Chairs recognize sustained or potential research excellence and productivity, leading to international recognition in an area of research aligned with the University’s strategic areas of development in research.
- Yan Burelle, URC in Integrative Mitochondrial Biology
- Dave Holmes, URC in Forensic Nursing
- Glen Kenny, URC in Environmental Physiology
- Janet Squires, URC in Health Evidence Implementation
- Dawn Stacey, URC in Knowledge Translation to Patients
- Chibuike Udenigwe, URC in Food Properties and Nutrient Bioavailability
Research Chairs in Canadian Francophonie
The Research Chairs in Canadian Francophonie were established to solidify the position of the University of Ottawa as a leader for Canadian Francophone communities.
- Marie-Claude Thifault, Canadian Francophonie Research Chair in Health
Endowed and Sponsored Research Chairs
These chairs were established through the generous contributions of individuals, groups, corporations or agencies in support of the significant achievements of these researchers:
- Wendy Gifford, Marie des Anges Loyer DaSilva Chair in Community and Public Health Nursing
- Denise Harrison, Chair in Nursing Care of Children, Youth and Families
- Pascal Imbeault, Montfort Research Chair in Physical and Mental Comorbidities
- Linda McLean, Chair in Women`s Health Research
- Patrick O'Byrne, Ontario HIV Treatment Network (OHTN) Research Chair in Public Health and HIV Prevention
Prizes and awards
We are proud to recognize the following recipients of prestigious provincial, national and international prizes and awards.
New Investigator Awards
Early Researcher Awards
These competitive awards were created by the Government of Ontario to support new researchers as they establish their research teams and research programs.
Career Development Award, Canadian Cancer Society
Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing
Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
John Charles Polyani Prize — Council of Ontario Universities
Nursing Leadership Network of Ontario, Research Award
Ontario Premier Research Excellence Award
- Barbara Davies
- Heidi Sveistrup
Order of Canada
- Annette O’Connor
- Rachel Thibeault
Pfizer Award for Excellence in Nursing Research
Practice/Academy Innovative Collaboration Award, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Barbara Davies
- Nancy Edwards
Royal Society of Canada — The College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists