2005 Ph.D. Population Health University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
2000 M.Sc.N. Nursing University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
1987 B.Sc.N. Nursing McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 8419
Work E-mail: dstacey@uOttawa.ca
Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine
University of Ottawa
- Affiliated Researcher
Montfort Hospital Research Institute
- Adjunct Professor (2009-2014)
School of Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences
- Professeure associée (2007-2013)
Département de médicine sociale et préventive
Faculty de medecine, Universite Laval
- Profesor Visitante (2009-2010)
Escuela de Enfermeria
Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Dr. Dawn Stacey is a Full Professor in the School of Nursing and Scientist at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute. In 2012, her outstanding and continuous accomplishments in research were recognized when she received a University Research Chair in Knowledge Translation to Patients. Dr. Stacey is Director of the Patient Decision Aids Research Group at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute (http://decisionaid.ohri.ca) as well as, a member of the Faculty of Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies at the University of Ottawa, academic appointee at The Ottawa Hospital, and a member of the Nursing Best Practice Research Centre. She won the 2009 Young Researcher Award for the Faculty of Health Sciences and the 2012 Canadian Association of Nurses in Oncology/Pfizer award of excellence in nursing research.
Dr. Stacey’s research program is focused on advancing the science of knowledge translation to patients. The overall goal is to understand, measure, and evaluate the effectiveness of knowledge translation interventions for patients and evaluate strategies to enhance patient engagement in shared decision making.
Dr. Stacey lectures extensively both nationally and internationally on various aspects of patient decision support, knowledge translation, oncology nursing, and telephone consultation. She is teaching and supervising students in graduate programs in nursing, population health, and clinical epidemiology. Dr. Stacey leads the Cochrane Review of Patient Decision Aids, is a co-investigator on the Cochrane Review of Interventions to Improve the Adoption of Shared Decision Making, and co–chairs the International Patient Decision Aid Standards Collaboration (IPDAS). Her research is conducted in Canada, the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom, and Chile.
- Knowledge translation to patients
- Supporting patients’ decision making with decision support tools and coaching
- Interprofessional shared decision making
- Oncology nursing
- Patient centred care
- Nurse telephone consultation
- Implementation of innovations in practice and organizations
Peer-Reviewed Publications (Within the Last 2 Years)
- McGillion M, Victor JC, Carroll SL, Metcalfe K, O’Keefe-McCarthy S, Jamal N, Gershman S, Arthur HM, McKelvie R, Jolicoeur EM, Hanlon J, Stone J, Beanlands R, Svorkdal N, Stacey D. (in press). The CREATE method for expressing continuous cardiovascular outcome data in absolute terms for use in patient treatment decision aids: A validation study. Medical Decision Making.
- Elwyn G, Brownlee S, Williams JW, Poddar U, Stacey D, Volk R. (in press). Patient decision aids: A case for certification at the national level. Journal of Clinical Ethics.
- Bansback N, *Trenaman L, Stacey D, et al. (in press). Exploring the potential cost-effectiveness of patient decision aids for use in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: A case study. Medical Decision Making.
- *Riou ME, *Jomphe-Tremblay S, Lamothe G, Stacey D, Szczotka A, Doucet E. (2015). Predictors of energy compensation during exercise interventions: A systematic review Nutrients, 7(5), 3677-3704.
- Coutu MF, Legare F, Stacey D, Durand MJ, Corbiere M, Bainbridge L, Labrecque ME. (2015). Occupational therapists’ shared decision-making behaviours with patients having persistent pain in a work rehabilitation context: A cross-sectional study. Patient Education and Counseling. 98(7), 864-70.
- *Brown JG, Joyce KE, Thomson R, Stacey D. (2015). Who, when, how, where? Does context influence the efficacy of patient decision aids? A secondary analysis of a Cochrane systematic review. Medical Decision Making, 35(4), 419-35.
- Toupin-April K, Barton J, Fraenkel L, Li L, Grandpierre V, Guillemin F, Rader T, Stacey D, Legare F, Jull J, Petkovic J, Scholte-Voshaar M, Welch V, Lyddiatt A, Hofstetter C, De Wit M, March L, Meade T, Christensen R, Gaujoux-Viala C, Suarez-Almazor ME, Boonen A, Pohl C, Martin R, Tugwell PS. (2015). Development of a draft core set of domains for measuring shared decision making in osteoarthritis: An OMERACT working group on shared decision making. Journal of Rheumatology, epub April 21.
- Légaré F, Brière N, Stacey D, Bourassa H, Desroches S, Dumont S, Fraser K, Freitas A, Rivest LP, Roy L. (2015). Improving Decision Making on Location of Care with the Frail Elderly and their Caregivers (the DOLCE study): Study Protocol for a Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial. Trials. Epub Feb 12. (highly accessed)
- *Feenstra B, Lawson ML, Harrison D, *Boland L, Stacey D. (2015). Decision coaching using the Ottawa Family Decision Guide with parents and their children: A field testing study. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. 15:5-15.
- Witteman HO, Dansokho SC, Colquhoun H, Coulter A, Dugas M, Fagerlin A, Giguere AMC, Glouberman S, Haslett L, Hoffman A, Ivers N, Légaré F, Légaré J, Levin C, Lopez K, Montori VM, Provencher T, Renaud JS, Sparling K, Stacey D, Vaisson G, Volk RJ, Witteman W. (2015). User-centered design and the development of patient decision aids: protocol for a systematic review. Systematic Reviews, 4(1): 11.
- Stacey D, Skrutkowski M, Carley M, Kolari E, Shaw T, Ballantyne B, & for the Pan-Canadian Oncology Symptom Triage and Remote Support (COSTaRS) Team. (2015) Training oncology nurses to use remote symptom support protocols: A retrospective pre-post study. Oncology Nursing Forum, 42(2): 174-182.
- Stacey D, Vandemheen KL, Hennessey R, Gooyers T, Gaudet E, Mallick R, Salgado J, Freitag A, Berthiaume Y, Brown N, Aaron SA. (2015). Implementation of a Cystic Fibrosis Lung Transplant Referral Patient Decision Aid in Routine Clinical Practice: An Observational Study. Implementation Science, 10:17.
- Coutu M-F, Légaré F, Durant M-J, Corbiere M, Stacey D, Bainbridge L, Labrecque M-E. (2015) Operationalizing a Shared Decision Making Model for Work Rehabilitation Programs: A Consensus Process. J Occup Rehabil 25(1):141-52. DOI: 10.1007/s10926-014-9532-7.
- *Jull J, Giles A, Minwaashin Lodge The Aboriginal Women's Support Centre, Boyer Y, Stacey D. (2015). Cultural Adaptation of a Shared Decision-Making Tool with Aboriginal Women: A Qualitative Study. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 15:1. Doi: 10.1186/s12911-015-0129-7.
- Stacey D, Carley M, Ballantyne B, Skrutkowski M, Whynot A & for the Pan-Canadian Oncology Symptom Triage and Remote Support (COSTaRS) Team. (2015) Perceived factors influencing nurses’ use of evidence-informed protocols for remote cancer treatment-related symptom management: A mixed methods study. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 19-(3), 268-77. doi:S1462-3889(14)00191-pii;10.1016j.ejon.2014.11.002.
- *Trenaman L, Sadatsafavi M, Almeida F, Ayas N, Lynd L, Marra C, Stacey D, Bansback N. (2015). Exploring the Potential Cost-Effectiveness of Patient Decision Aids for Use in Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Case Study. Med Decis Making.35(5), 671-82. pii:0272989X14556676
- Legare F, Stacey D, Turcotte S, Cossi MJ, Kryworuchko J, Graham ID, Lyddiat A, Politi MC, Thomson R, Elwyn GJ, Donner-Banzhoff N. (2014). Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by healthcare professionals. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews Sep 15;9:CD006732. DOI:10.1002/14651858 CD006732 pub3
- *Abdullah G, Rossy D, Ploeg J, Davies B, Higuchi K, Sikora L, Stacey D. (2014). Measuring the effectiveness of mentoring as a knowledge translation intervention for implementing empirical evidence: A systematic review. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. Oct;11(5):284-300 doi: 10.1111/wvn.12060. Epub 2014 Sept 23.
- Legare F, Stacey D, Briere N, Robitaille H, Lord MC, Desroches S, Drolet R. (2014). An interprofessional approach to shared decision making: an exploratory care study with family caregivers of one IP home care team. BMC Geriatrics, 14:83. doi: 10.1186/1471-2318-14-83.
- Stacey D, *Jull J, Beach S, Dumas A, Strychar I, Adamo K, Brochu M, Prud’homme D. (2015). Middle-aged women’s decisions about body weight management: A needs assessment and testing of a knowledge translation tool. Menopause. 22(4):414-22.
- McGillion M., Carroll SL, Metcalfe K, Arthur HM, Victor JC, McKelvie R, Jolicoeur EM, Stone J, Svorkdal N, Coyte P, Stevens B, Stacey D. (2014). Development of a patient decision aid for people with refractory angina: Protocol for a three-phase pilot study. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. Jun 11; 12;93. DOI: 10.1186/1477-7525-12-93.
- Légaré F, Stacey D, Briere N, Robitaille H, Lord M-C, Desroches S, Drolet R. (2014) An interprofessional approach to shared decision making: an exploratory case study with family caregivers of one IP home care team. BMC Geriatrics. 14:83. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2318-14-83.
- *Jull J, Stacey D, Beach S, Dumas A, Strychar I, Ufholz LA, Prince S, Abdulnour J, Prud’homme D. (2014). Lifestyle interventions targeting body weight changes during the menopause transition: A systematic review. J Obesity. doi:10.1155/2014/824310.
- *Macartney G, Stacey D, Harrison MB, VanDenKerkhof E. (2014) Quality of life and symptoms in pediatric brain tumour survivors: A systematic review. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing, 31(2):65-77.
- *Macartney G, Stacey D, Harrison MB, VanDenKerkhof E. (2014) Symptoms, coping, and quality of life in pediatric brain tumour survivors: A qualitative study. Oncology Nursing Forum, 41(4):390-398.
- *Feenstra B, Boland L, Lawson ML, Harrison D, Kryworuchko J, Leblanc, M, Stacey D. (2014) Interventions to support children’s engagement in health-related decisions: A systematic review. BMC Pediatrics. 14(1):109.
- Stacey D, Briere N, Robitaille H, Fraser K, Desroches S, Legare F. (2014). A systematic process for creating and appraising clinical vignettes to illustrate interprofessional shared decision making. Journal of Interprofessional Care. Apr 28 epub. Sept;28(5):453-9.
- Adamo KB, Shen GX, Mottola M, Nascimento S, Jean-Philippe S, Ferraro ZM, Nerenberg K, Smith G, Chari R, Gaudet L, Piccinini-Vallis H, McDonald S, Atkinson S, Godbout A, Robitaille J, Davidge ST, Gruslin A, Prud’homme D, Stacey D, Rossiter M, Goldfield G.S. Dodd J. (2014). Obesity prevention from conception: A workshop to guide the development of a pan-Canadian trial targeting the gestational period. Nutrition and Metabolic Insights, 7, 7-18.
- Sepucha K, Matlock DD, Wills CE, Ropka M, Joseph-Williams N, Stacey D, Ng CJ, Levin C, Lally J, Borkhoff CM, Thomson R. (2014) “It’s valid and reliable” is not enough: Critical appraisal of reporting of measures in trials evaluating patient decision aids. Med Decis Making. Apr 8;34(5):560-566. Epub ahead of print. (one of Top 10 Accessed in Medical Decision Making 2014)
- Stacey D, Carley M, Kohli J, Skrutkowski M, Avery J, Bazile AM, Court A, Nagel D, Budz D. (2014) Remote support training programs for oncology nurses in Canada: An environmental scan. Canadian Oncology Nursing Journal, 24(2) 78-82. Les programmes de formation en gestion a distance des symptoms s’addressant aux infirmieres en oncologie du Canada: une analyse environnementale. 83-88.
- *Macartney G, vanDenKerkhof E, Harrison MB, Stacey D. (2014). Symptom experience and quality of life in pediatric brain tumour survivors: A cross-sectional study. J Pain Symptom Manage, 48(5); 957-967. Doi:10.1016/j.painsymman.2013.12.243.
- *Wu R, Boushey R, Potter B, Stacey D. (2014). The evaluation of a rectal cancer decision aid and the factors influencing its implementation in clinical practice. BMC Surgery 2014;14:49. DOI:10.1186/1471-2482-14-49.
- *McArthur D, Dumas A, Woodend K, Beach S, Stacey D. (2014). Factors influencing adherence to regular exercise in middle-aged women: a qualitative study to inform clinical nursing practice. BMC Women’s Health, 14:49. DOI:10.1186/1472-6874-14-49.
- *Lewis KB, Stacey D, Matlock DD. (2014). Making decisions about implantable cardioverter-defibrillator from implantation to end of life: An integrative review of patients’ perspectives. The Patient, 2014;7(3):243-60. Doi: 10.1007/s40271-014-0055-2.epub March 26.
- *Jull J, *Crispo J, Welch V, MacDonald H, Brascoupe S, Boyer V, Stacey D. (2013). Interventions for indigenous peoples making health decisions: A systematic review. Pimatisiwin, A Journal of Aboriginal and Indigenous Community Health 11(3), 539-554.
- Stacey D, Hawker G, Dervin G, Tugwell P, *Boland L, Pomey MP, O'Connor AM, Taljaard M. (2014). Decision aid for patients considering total knee arthroplasty with preference report for surgeons: a pilot randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 15:54. doi:10.1186/1471-2474-15-54.
- Li L, Adam PM, Backman CL, Lineker S, Jones A, Lacaille D, Townsend AF, Yacyshyn E, Yousefi C, Tugwell P, Leese J, Stacey D. (2014). A proof-of-concept study of a web-based Methotrexate decision aid for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res 2014 Oct;66(10):1472-81. Doi: 10.1002/acr.22319. Epub ahead of print.
- Yu CH, Stacey D, Sale J, Hall S, Kaplan D, Ivers N, Rezmovitz J, Leung FH, Shah BR, Straus SE. (2014). Designing and evaluating an interprofessional shared decision-making and goal-setting decision aid for patients with diabetes in clinical care – systematic decision aid development and study protocol. Implement Sci 2014 Jan 22;9:16. Doi: 10.1186/1748-5908-9-16.
- Stacey D, Légaré F, Col NF, Bennett CL, Barry MJ, Eden KB, Holmes-Rovner M, Llewellyn-Thomas H, Lyddiatt A, Thomson R, Trevena L, Wu JHC. (2014) Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2014 Jan 28;1:CD 001431. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001431.pub4 (top cited Cochrane review for 2013 of trials published in 2011-2012 to calculate Impact Factor)
- *Macartney G, Harrison MB, VanDenKerkhof E, Stacey D. (2014). Quality of life and symptoms in pediatric brain tumour survivors: A systematic review. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing, 31(2): 65-77.
- Weeks L, Seely D, DeGrasse C, Verma S, Boon H, Verhoef M, Stacey D. (2014). Developing an operational model for an integrative oncology program: A qualitative descriptive feasibility study. Supportive Care in Cancer. 22(3): 731-9. Doi:10.1007/s00520-013-2028-8.
- Rader T, Pardo Pardo J, Stacey D, Ghogomu E, Maxwell LJ, Welch VA, Singh JA, Buchbinder R, Legare F, Santesso N, Toupin-April K, O’Connor AM, Wells GA, Winzenberg TM, Johnston R, Tugwell P, Cochrane Musculoskeletal Group Editors. (2014). Update of strategies to translate evidence from Cochrane Musculoskeletal Group systematic reviews for use by various stakeholders. J Rheumatol.41(2):206-15. Doi:10.3899/jrheun.121307.
- *de Rosenroll A, Higuchi KS, Dutton KS, Murray MA, Stacey D. (2013). Perspectives of significant others in dialysis modality decision-making: A qualitative study. CANNT Journal, 23(4), 17-24. Editorial Board Journal Award winner 2014.
- Li LC, Adam PM, Townsend AF, Lacaille D, Yousefi C, Stacey D, Gromala D, Shaw C, Tugwell P, Backman CL. (2013) Usability testing of ANSWER: A web-based methotrexate decision aid for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 13:131.
- Carroll S, McGillion M, Stacey D, Healey JS, Browne G, Arthur HM, Thabane L. (2013) Development and feasibility testing of decision support for patients who are candidates for a prophylactic implantable defibrillator: A study protocol for a pilot randomized controlled trial. Trials. 14(1): 346, 1-9.
- Volk R J, Llewellyn-Thomas H, Stacey D, Elwyn G. (2013) Core dimensions for assessing the quality of patient decision aids: Theoretical rationales, current evidence, and emerging issues identified by the International Patient Decision Aid Standards Collaboration. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 13(Suppl 2): S1.
- Stacey D, Kryworuchko J, Belkora J, Davison BJ, Durand MA, Eden KB, Hoffman AS, Koerner M, Legare F, Loiselle MC, Street RL. (2013) Coaching and guidance with patient decision aids: A review of theoretical and empirical evidence. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 13(Suppl 2): S11.
- Sepucha KR, Borkhoff CM, Lally J, Levin CA, Matlock DD, Ng CJ, Ropka ME, Stacey D, Joseph-Williams N, Wills CE, Thomson R. (2013). Establishing the effectiveness of patient decision aids: key constructs and measurement instruments. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 13(Suppl 2): S12.
- *Gentles SAJ, Stacey D, Bennett C, Alshurafa M, Walter SD. (2013). Factors explaining the heterogeneity of effects of patient decision aids on knowledge of outcome probabilities: A systematic review sub-analysis. Systematic Reviews. 2:95, 1-11.
- Legare F, Moumjid-Ferdjaoui N, Drolet R, Stacey D, Harter M, Bastian H, Beaulieu MD, Borduas F, Charles C, Coulter A, Desroches S, Friedrich G, Gafni A, Graham ID, Labrecque M, LeBlanc A, Legare J, Politi M, Sargeant J, Thomson R. (2013). Core competencies for continuing medical education in shared decision-making: Insights from an international, interdisciplinary working group. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 44(4): 267-73.
- Joseph-Williams N, Newcombe R, Politi M, Durand MA, Sivell S, Stacey D, O’Connor A, Volk RJ, Edwards A, Bennett C, Pignone M, Thomson R, Elwyn G. (2013) Toward minimum standards for certifying patient decision aids: A modified Delphi consensus process. Medical Decision Making, Aug 20 epub (one of Top 10 Accessed in Medical Decision Making 2014)
- *Munce S, Kastner M, Cramm H, Lal S, Deschene SM, Auais M, Stacey D, Brouwers M. (2013). Applying the Knowledge to Action Framework to plan a strategy for implementing breast cancer screening guidelines: An interprofessional perspective. Journal of Cancer Education. 28(3): 481-7.
- *Bissonnette, J., Woodend, K., Davies, B., Stacey, D., Doucette, S., Knoll, G. (2013). Evaluation of a Collaborative Chronic care approach to improve outcomes in kidney transplant recipients. Clinical Transplantation. 27(2):232-8.
- Legare F, Stacey D, Brière N, Puma C, Fraser K, Desroches S, Dumont S, Sales A, Aube D. (2013). Healthcare providers’ intentions to engage in an interprofessional approach to shared decision making in home care programs: A mixed methods study. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 27(3): 214-22.
- *Kryworuchko J, Hill E, Murray MA, Stacey D, Fergusson D. (2013). Systematic review: Effectiveness of interventions intended to improve the quality of end-of-life decision making in the Intensive Care Unit. Worldviews in Evidence-based Nursing. 10(1), 3-16.
- Adamo KB, Ferraro ZM, Goldfield G, Keely E, Stacey D, Hadjiyannakis S, Jean-Philippe S, Walker M, Barrowman NJ. (2013). The Maternal Obesity Management (MOM) Trial Protocol: A lifestyle intervention during pregnancy to minimize downstream obesity. Contemporary Clinical Trials.35(1), 87-96.
- Stacey, D., *Macartney, G., Carley M., Harrison, M.B., for the Pan-Canadian Oncology Symptom Triage and Remote Support Group (COSTaRS) (2013). Development and evaluation of evidence-informed clinical nursing protocols for remote assessment, triage and support of cancer treatment-induced symptoms. Nursing Research and Practice. Volume 2013, 1-11.
New Book Chapters
- Stacey D, Legare F, Eden K, Col N, LeBlanc A. (in press). Patient decision aids to support patient engagement in health decisions (pp. to be determined). Elwyn G, Thompson R, Edwards A (editors). Shared decision making in health care: A guide for practice (3rd edition). Oxford University Press.
- Stacey D, Legare F, Briere N. (in press). Engaging clinical teams in an interprofessional approach to shared decision making (pp. to be determined). Elwyn G, Thompson R, Edwards A (editors). Shared decision making in health care: A guide for practice (3rd edition). Oxford University Press.
- Legare F, Scholl I, Stacey D, Turcotte S. (in press). What can we do to make shared decision making really happen? (pp. to be determined). Elwyn G, Thompson R, Edwards A (editors). Shared decision making in health care: A guide for practice (3rd edition). Oxford University Press.
- Stacey D, Legare F. (in press). Shared decision making for elective surgeries and screening tests. In A Johnson, T Stukel (eds.). Handbook of Health Services Research. Springer.
- Legare F, Stacey D. (2014). An interprofessional approach to shared decision making: What it means and where next? (pp. 131-139). In: TK Woodruff, ML Clayman, KE Waimey (eds.), Oncofertility Communication: Sharing information and building relationships across disciplines, NY: Springer.
- Stacey D, & Hill S. (2013). Patient-direct and patient-mediated KT interventions (pp. 197-211). In S. Straus, J Tetroe, I Graham (eds.). Knowledge Translation in Health Care: Moving from Evidence to Practice. Blackwell Publishing.
- Brouwers, M., Stacey, D., & O'Connor, A. (2013). Knowledge translation tools: use of clinical practice guidelines and patient decision aids. In S. Straus, I. Graham, & J. Tetroe (Eds.), Knowledge Translation in Health Care: Moving from Evidence to Practice. Blackwell Publishing.
This web site serves to disseminate our research activities. In 2012, more than 71,000 unique visitors made over 216,000 visits to the web site generating more than 746,000 page views and more than 198,000 downloads..
* The University of Ottawa does not sponsor, endorse, review or monitor the contents of personal Web pages of its faculty, students or staff on World-Wide Web sites using University facilities.