Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 8322
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Prior to joining the Faculty of Health Sciences, Chantal Matar worked for several years, as a professor of biochemistry, at the University of Moncton. During that time, She successfully implemented a long term research program by partnering with different stakeholders at national and international levels. Her expertise is focused on research related to nutrition/immunology/cancer and establishing the role of peptides and probiotics on mucosal and tumoral immunity. Many aspects of the research involve in vivo assessing of immunomodulatory substances in murin model and studying immunosurveillance against tumours and mucosal infections. Her lab is also specialized in analysing biopeptide-mediated immune modulation in mucosal immunity, chemoprevention of mammary carcinoma and studying the molecular pathways involved in the immunopotentiating effect. She possesses 75 scientific communications, including peer review papers and invited presentations. She was named life member of the International Union against Cancer fellows, after being awarded a fellowship to collaborate with International Agency for Research on Cancer, a specialized agency of the World Health Organisation.
- Probiotic/bioactive peptides
- Chemoprevention of breast cancer
- Mucosal and tumoral immunity
- Nutrition and epigenetic profiles
- Ndiaye, F*, Vuong, T, Aluko, RE, and Matar, C. 2011. Anti-oxidant, antiinflammatory and immunomodulating properties of an enzymatic protein hydrolysate from yellow field pea seeds. Eur J Nutr. 2012 Feb;51(1):29-37. 2.
- Hernández-Vargas, H., Ouzounova, M, Le Calvez-Kelm, F, Lambert MP, McKay- Chopin,S.,. Tavtigian, S., Puisieux, A.,Matar, C. and Herceg, H. 2011 Methylome analysis reveals Jak-STAT pathway deregulation in putative breast cancer stem cells. Epigenetics, Apr 1;6(4) 3.
- Vuong, T*, Matar, C, Rammassamy, C., Haddad, P. 2010. Biotransformed blueberry juice protects neurons from hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress and mitogenactivated protein kinase pathway alterations, British Journal of Nutrition, 104(5):656- 63. 4.
- Vuong, T*., Benhaddou-Andaloussi, A., Braul, A., Harbilas, H. , Martineau L, Vallerand D., Ramassamy, Matar, C., Haddad, P. 2009. Antiobesity and antidiabetic effects of biotransformed blueberry juice in KKAy mice. International Journal of Obesity 33(10):1166-73.
- Nelson, R., Katamaya, S., Mine, Y., Duarte, J and Matar, C. 2007. Immunomodulating effects of egg yolk low lipid peptic digests in a murine model. Food & Agriculture Immunology, Volume 18, (1):1-15
- Demoreno, A., Matar, C., Perdigon, G. 2007. (Invited review paper). The application of probiotics in cancer, British Journal of Nutrition 98, Supl.1, S105-S1110.
- Vinderola, C.G., Demoreno, A., Perdigon, G and Matar, C. 2007. Biologically active peptides released from fermented foods: Role and functions”. In: Handbook of Fermented Foods II. Edited by Edward Farnworth. Publication by CRC Press, Florida, U. S. In press.
- Vinderola, C.G., Perdigon G., Duarte, J., Farnworth E. and Matar, C. 2006. Effects of the oral administration of the exopolysaccharide produced by Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens on the gut mucosal immunity. Cytokines, 36(5-6):254-60.
- Vinderola, C.G., Perdigon G., Duarte, J. Thangavel D., Farnworth E. and Matar, C. 2006. Effects of kefir fractions on innate immunity. Immunobiology, 211 (3): 149-156.
- Rachid, M., Matar, C., Duarte, J and Perdigon, G. 2006. Effect of oral intake of milk fermented by Lactobacillus helveticus on the progression of a murine mammary gland carcinoma. FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology., 47 (2) 242-53
- Vinderola, C.G., Perdigon G., Duarte, J., Farnworth E. and Matar, C. 2006. Effects of oral administration of the products derived from milk fermentation by kefir microflora on immune system. Journal of Dairy Research, 7,:1-8
- Duarte, J., Vinderola, G., Ritz, B., Perdigon, G and Matar, C. 2006. Immumodulating capacity of commercial fish protein hydrolysates on diet supplementation. Immunobiology 211(5):341-50
- Vuong, T., Martin, L and Matar, C. 2006.Antioxidant Activity of fermented berries juices and their effects on NO* and TNF-a production in macrophages 264.7 NO(-) gamma cell line. Journal of Food Biochemistry, 30:3, 249-268.
- Martin, L and Matar, C. 2005. Increase of antioxydant capacity of the lowbush blueberry during fermentation by a new bacterium from the fruit micro-flora. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture JSFA (85)1477-1484.
- Vinderola, C.G., Duarte, J. Thangavel D., Perdigon G., Farnworth E. and Matar, C. 2005. Immunomodulating capacity of kefir. Importance of dose and cell viability. Journal of Dairy Research, JDR 72 (2) 195-202.
- Demoreno, A., Matar, C., LeBlanc, N. and Perdigon, G. 2005. Effects of milk fermented by Lactobacillus helveticus R389 on a murine breast cancer model. Breast Cancer Research. 7 (4) R477-86.
- Vinderola, C.G., Duarte, J. Thangavel D., Perdigon G., Farnworth E. and Matar, C. 2005. Immune response in distant sites by orally administered kefir. European Journal of Inflammation. Vol.3 (2) 15-24.
- LeBlanc, J., Fliss, I., Matar, C. 2004. Induction of a Humoral Immune Response Following an Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infection with an Immunomodulatory Peptidic Fraction Derived from Lactobacillus helveticus-Fermented Milk. Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology Volume 11, issue 6, pp 1171-81.
- Ouzounova, M., Vuong, T., Ancey, PB., Ferrand, M., Durand, G., Le-Calvez Kelm, F., Croce, C., Matar, C., Herceg, Z., Hernandez-Vargas, H,BMC Genomics. MicroRNA miR-30 family regulates non-attachment growth of breast cancer cells. 2013 Feb 28;14:139. doi: 10.1186/1471-2164-14-139.