Office: (613) 562-5800 ext. 4137
Work E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mario Lamontagne received his PhD in biomedical engineering from the École Polytechnique at the University of Montreal. He is currently a professor in biomechanics at the School of Human Kinetics of the University of Ottawa, with a cross-appointment to the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Dr. Lamontagne’s research focuses on biomedical sciences and biomechanics, particularly on numerical and musculoskeletal modelling of human joints, design and adaptive technology of prosthetics and orthotics, injury prevention and neuromuscular adaptation. He has supervised numerous students at the master’s and doctoral levels. He has published more than 70 papers in refereed journals. Over the past 25 years, he has received research funding from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). As well, he has received research grants from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). His major research programs focus on the mechanics of the human knee joint of healthy and pathological subjects, as well as on the biomechanical assessment of the mobility of patients who have undergone a total hip and knee arthroplasty.
Biomedical sciences, biomechanics , numerical and musculoskeletal modelling, injury prevention, design of assistive technology (prosthetics and orthotics), neuromuscular adaptation
The ongoing research program funded by NSERC looks at the development of a numerical and musculoskeletal model of the hip joint for patients suffering from femoroacetabular impingement.
- Cross-appointment to the Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Cross-appointment to the biomedical engineering program
- Ng, G. K. C., Lamontagne, M., & Beaulé, P. E. (2016). Differences in anatomical parameters between the affected and unaffected hip in patients with bilateral cam-type deformities. Clinical Biomechanics, 33, 13-19.
- Ng, G. K. C., Lamontagne, M., Labrosse, M. R., & Beaulé, P. E. (2016). Hip Joint Stresses due to Cam-Type Femoroacetabular Impingement: A Systematic Review of Finite Element Simulations. PLoS ONE, 11((1)), e0147813.
- Mantovani, G., & Lamontagne, M. (2016 (accepted)). How Different Marker Sets Affect Joint Angles in Inverse Kinematics Framework. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering.
- Mantovani, G., Ng, K. C. G., & Lamontagne, M. (2016). Regression models to predict hip joint centers in pathological hip population. Gait & Posture, 44(February), 48-54.
- Brisson, N and M. Lamontagne (2014). The efficacy of functional knee braces in stabilizing anterior cruciate ligament decient knees: a review. Journal of orthopaedics, 6(1), 1-12
- Ng, K.C. Geoffrey, M. Lamontagne, Andrew P. Adamczyk, Kawan S. Rahkra, Paul E. Beaulé (2014). Patient-specific Anatomical and Functional Parameters Provide New Insights Into the Pathomechanism of Cam FAI Clin Orthop Relat Res DOI 10.1007/s11999-014-3797-1 (online)
- Travis Matheney, Linda Sandell, Kharma Foucher, Mario Lamontagne, Alan Grodzinsky, Christopher Peters (2013). Motion Analysis, Cartilage Mechanics and Biology in FAI: Current Understanding and Areas of Future Research. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2013;21 Suppl 1:S27-32. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-21-07-S27.
- Lamontagne M, Kennedy MJ. (2013). The Biomechanics and Physiology of Vertical Hopping: A Review. Research in Sports Medicine, 21:380–394.
- Varin D, Lamontagne M, Beaulé PE. Does The Anterior Approach for THA Provide Closer-To-Normal Lower-Limb Motion? The Journal of arthroplasty. 2013;(Available online 16 March 2013).
- Ng KCG, Rouhi G, Lamontagne M, & Beaulé PE. (2012). Finite element analysis examining the effects of cam FAI on hip joint mechanical loading using subject-specific geometries during standing and maximum squat. Hospital for Special Surgery. 8 (3), 206-12.
- Speirs A, Benoit D, Beaulieu M, Lamontagne M, Beaulé P. (2012). The Accuracy of the Use of Functional Hip Motions on Localization of the Center of the Hip, Hospital for Special Surgery. 8 (3), 192-197.
- Mantovani G, Lamontagne M, Varin D, Cerulli G & Beaulé PE. (2012). Comparison of Total Hip Arthroplasty surgical approaches by Principal Component Analysis. Journal of Biomechanics. 45 (12), 2109-15.
- Brisson N, Lamontagne M, Kennedy MJ, Beaulé PE. The effects of cam femoroacetabular impingement corrective surgery on lower-extremity gait biomechanics. Gait and Posture. 2013;37(2):258-63.
- Lamontagne M, Beaulieu, M, Varin D, Beaulé PE. (2012). Lower-Limb Mechanics after Total Hip Arthroplasty during Sitting and Standing Tasks. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 30 (10), 1611-17.
- Lamontagne M, Varin D, Beaulé PE. (2011). Does the Anterior Approach for Total Hip Arthroplasty Better Restore Stair Climbing Gait Mechanics? Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 29 (9), 1412-17.
Conferences and presentations
- Do Anatomical Parameters of Cam FAI Influence Hip Joint Mechanics During Level Walking? 71st Canadian Orthopaedics Association Annual Meeting; June 16-19, 2016; Quebec, QC, Canada
- Lamontagne M, Kowalski E, Dervin GF.71st Canadian Orthopaedics Association Annual Meeting; June 16-19, 2016; Quebec, QC, Canada
- Lamontagne M, Kowalski E, Dervin GF. 71st Canadian Orthopaedics Association Annual Meeting; June 16-19, 2016; Quebec, QC, Canada
- Comparing Hip Joint Mechanics in Individuals with a Symptomatic or Asymptomatic Cam Deformity during a Stair Ascent Task. 17th EFFORT Annual Congress; June 1-3 2016; Geneva, CH
- Ground Reaction Force Symmetry during Sitting and Standing Tasks after a Dual Mobility or Conventional Cup Total Hip Arthroplasty. 17th EFFORT Annual Congress; June 1-3 2016; Geneva, CH
- Tulchin-Francis K, Lamontagne M. Functional Outcomes Assessment in Patients with Femoral Acetabular Impingement. 2016 Annual Conference of Gait & Clinical Movement Analysis Society; May 17-19, 2016; Memphis, TN, USA
- Ng KCG, Mantovani G, Lamontagne M, Labrosse MR, Beaulé PE. The Effects of Cam Femoroacetabular Impingement on Subchondral Bone Stresses during Squatting. ORS 2016 Annual Meeting; Saturday, Mar 5 2016; Orlando, FL, USA. p. 1846.
- Ng KCG, Mantovani G, Lamontagne M, Labrosse MR, Beaulé PE. Hip Joint Stresses due to the Cam Deformity and Femoral Neck Shaft Angle during Level Walking. ORS 2016 Annual Meeting; Saturday, Mar 5 2016; Orlando, FL, USA. p. 0032.
- Hip Muscle and Contact Force Estimation for FAI Population during Walking. ORS 2016 Annual Meeting March 5-8; Orlando, Fl, USA. p. 0984.
- Asymmetry in Patients with a Dual Mobility Total Hip Arthroplasty during Inclined Walking: a Randomized Clinical Trial. ORS 2016 Annual Meeting; March 5-8; Orlando, FL., USA. p. 0186.