Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 8420
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Paula Forgeron is an assistant professor at the School of Nursing, University of Ottawa. Prior to joining the faculty she had diverse clinical career including being a clinical nurse specialist on a pediatric complex pain team. She has been a co-investigator on several national and international research grants and has been an invited lecturer nationally and internationally. She has been the recipient of several student awards including a Canadian Institutes of Health Research Doctoral Fellowship. Her dissertation examined the close friendships of adolescents with chronic pain using both qualitative and quantitative methodologies. Her post doctoral work (in the Centre for Pediatric Pain Research at Dalhousie University) continued this program of research to better understand these relationships and define the issues, with the goal being the development and testing of social strategies to improve function and friendships for adolescents with pain. In collaboration with colleagues she has conducted research in the area of knowledge translation, specifically to improve pain care for children and youth in developing countries.
- Social Functioning of Adolescents with Chronic Pain
- Pediatric Pain Management
- Global Health
- Knowledge Translation
- Mixed Methods
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Twycross, A., Forgeron, P.A., Chorney, J., Finely, G. A., Backman, C. (2016). Pain as the neglected patient safety concern: Five years on. Journal of Child Health Care (in press).
- Ahola Kohut, S., Stinson, J.N., Ruskin, D., Forgeron, P., Harris, L., van Wyk, M, Lucal, S., Campbell, F. (2016). iPeer2Peer Program: A Pilot Feasibility Study in Adolescents with Chronic Pain. Pain, 157(5), 1146-1155.
- Forgeron, P. A., Chorney, J. M., Carlson, T. E., Dick, B. D., Plante, E. (2015). To Befriend or Not: Naturally developing friendships amongst a clinical group of adolescents with chronic pain. Pain Management Nursing, 16(5), 721-732.
- Twycross, A., Forgeron, P. A., & Markio-Williams, A., (2015). "Paediatric nurses’ postoperative pain management practices in hospital settings: A systematic review." International Journal of Nursing Studies.(in press).
- Forgeron, P. A. & Stinson, J. (2014). Fundamentals of chronic pain in children and young people: Part 2. Nursing Children and Young People, 26(9), 31-36.
- Forgeron, P. A. & Stinson, J. (2014) Fundamentals of chronic pain in children and young people: Part 1 Nursing Children and Young People, 26(8), 29-34.
- Fales, J. L., & Forgeron, P. A. (2014). The importance of friendships in youth with chronic pain: Developing a research agenda. Pediatric Pain Letter, 16(3), 35-39.
- Birnie, K., Chambers, C. T., Fernandez, C. V., Forgeron, P. A., Latimer, M. A., McGrath, P.J., Cummings, E. A., & Finley, G. A. (2014) "Hospitalized Children Continue to Report Undertreated and Preventable Pain, Pain Research and Management."Pain Research and Management, 19(4), 198-204.
- Forgeron, P. A., Evans, J., McGrath, P.J., Stevens, B. & Finley, G. A. (2013). Living with Difference: Exploring the Social Self and Friendships of Adolescents with Chronic Pain. Pain Research & Management, 18,
- Jongudomkarn, J., Forgeron, P. A., Siripul, P., Finley, G. A. (2012) My Child You Must Have Patience and “Kreng Jai” : Thai Parents and Child Pain. Journal of Nursing Scholarship.
- Forgeron, P. A., McGrath, P. J., Stevens, B., Evans, J., Dick, B., Finley, G. A., Carlson, T. (2011). Social Information Processing in Adolescents with Chronic Pain: My Friends Don’t Really Understand Me. Pain 152(12): 2771-2780.
- Schechter N. L., Finley G. A., Bright N. S., Laycock M., Forgeron P. A. ChildKind: A global initiative to reduce pain in children.Pediatric Pain Letter 2010 (Dec) 12(3).
- Forgeron, P. A., King, S., Stinson, J., McGrath, P. J., MacDonald, A. J., Chambers, C. T. (2010). Social functioning and peer relationships in children and adolescents with chronic pain: A systematic review. Pain Research and Management 15 (1): 27- 41.
- Finley, G. A., Kristjánsdóttir, Ó., Forgeron. P. A. (2009) Cultural influences on the assessment of children’s pain. Pain Research Management 14 (1): 33-37.
- Forgeron, P. A., Jonqudomkarn, D., Evans, J., Finley, A., Thienthang, S., Siripul, P., Pairojkul, S., Sriraj, W., Boonyawatanangkool, K. (2009) Pediatric pain management: Thai health professionals’ perspectives. Qualitative Health Research 19 (1): 71-81.
- Forgeron, P. A., & McGrath, P. J. (2008). Self-identified needs of adolescents with chronic pain. Journal of Pain Management1(2): 163-172.
- Price, S., Forgeron, P. A., MacConnell, G. G.U.I.D.E: (2008) Graduates United in Dialogue for Excellence. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship 39 (7): 314-318.
- Finley, GA, Forgeron, P. A., & Arnaout, M. (2008) Action research: Developing a pediatric cancer pain program in Jordan.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 35 (4): 447-454.
- Forgeron, P. A., Finley, G. A. & Arnaout, M. (2006) Pediatric pain prevalence and parents’ attitudes at a cancer hospital in Jordan. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 31 (5): 438-446.
- Forgeron, P. A., & Martin-Misner, R. (2005). Parental Intent to Use Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Services in the Emergency Setting. Journal of Advanced Nursing 52 (3): 231-238.
- Curran-Smith, J. Abidi, & Forgeron, P. A. (2005). Towards a Collaborative Training Environment for Children’s Pain Management: Leveraging an Online Discussion Forum. Health Informatics Journal 11 (1): 19-31.
- Price, S., MacConnell, G., & Forgeron, P. A. (2003). A forum for graduate nursing students. Canadian Nurse 99 (8): 14-15.
- Taylor, B., MacIntyre, J., Forgeron, P. A. (1999). Trauma recurrence in the pediatric emergency population. The Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection, and Critical Care 46: 479-482.
Peer Reviewed Book Chapters
- Forgeron, P. A., & King, S. (2014). Pain, Social Relationships, and School. In: P.J. McGrath, B. Stevens, S. Walker, & W. Zempsky (Eds.), Oxford Textbook of Paediatric Pain, Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- McGrath, P.J., Forgeron, P. A., & Huget, A. (2014). Pain in Infants, Children, and Adolescents. In: M. J. Aminoff & R. D. Daroff (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Neurological Sciences 2nd ed. Oxford, UK: Elsevier.
- Forgeron P. A. & McGrath P.J. (2007). Distance Management of Pediatric Pain. In: G. A. Walco & K. R. Goldschneider (Eds.),Pediatric Pain Management in Primary Care: A Practical Guide. Totowa, New Jersey: Humana Press.
- Finley G. A., Forgeron P. A. (2006). Developing pain services around the world. In: Finley GA, McGrath PJ, Chambers CT (Eds.): Bringing Pain Relief to Children. Humana Press: Totowa, New Jersey.