Room: RGN 3065
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 8043
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Professor Mary Egan has been at the University of Ottawa since 1996. Within the occupational therapy program, she teaches courses related to occupation, research methods, and occupational therapy with adults experiencing physical disability.
- Evidence-based occupational therapy
- Engaging in valued activities and health
- Spiritual issues in occupational therapy
- Care coordination
Selected publications (* denotes student)
- Davis CG, Egan M, Dubouloz CJ, Kubina LA, Kessler D*. Adaptation following stroke: A Personal Projects analysis. Rehabilitation Psychology (accepted)
- Egan M, McEwen S, Sikora L, Chasen M, Fitch M, Eldred S*. Rehabilitation following cancer treatment. Disability and Rehabilitation. Posted online on March 15, 2013. (doi:10.3109/09638288.2013.774441).
- Bray KE*, Egan MY, Began BL. The practice experience of evangelical Christian occupational therapists. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapists (2012)
79:285-292 doi: 10.2182/cjot.2012.79.5.4
- Johnson H*, Chesworth BM, Elliott J, Forbes D, Egan M, Stolee P and the Inforehab Team. Hip fracture care in rural Southwestern Ontario: An ethnographic study of patient transitions and physiotherapy handoffs. Physiotherapy Canada (accepted).
- McEwen S, Egan M, Chasen M, Fitch M and the PCRR Group. Research and Education Priorities for Cancer Rehabilitation in Canada: Consensus recommendations from the Partners in Cancer Rehabilitation Research (PCRR) Meeting. Current Oncology (2013) 20:64-69; doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3747/co.20.1277.
- Kubina LA*, Dubouloz CJ, Davis CG, Kessler D, Egan M.Y. The process of re-engagement in personally valued activities during the two years following stroke. Disability and Rehabilitation (2012). DOI: 10.3109/09638288.2012.691936
- Mohammed R*, Berg K, Rappolt S, Poss J, Egan M. Decision makers' allocation of homecare therapy services: A process map. Physiotherapy Canada (accepted).
- Kessler D*, Egan M. A review of measures to evaluate participation outcomes post stroke. British Journal of Occupational Therapy (2012) 75(9):403-411. DOI: 10.4276/030802212X13470263980757
- Hoy MMP*, Egan MY, Feder KP. A systematic review of interventions to improve handwriting. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy (2011) 28(1):13-25. doi: 10.2182/cjot.2011.78.1.3
- Grant T*, Edwards N, Sveistrup H, Andrews C, Egan M. Inequitable walking conditions among older people: examining the inter-relationship of neighbourhood socio-economic status and urban form using a comparative case study. BMC Public Health (2010) 10 (77) doi:10.1186/1471-2458-10-677
- Egan MY, Byrne K, Stolee P, King J. Mentoring experiences of aging and disability rehabilitation researchers. Rehabilitation Research and Practice (2010) doi:10.1155/2010/491368.
- Egan M, Bérubé D*, Racine G*, Leonard C, Rochon E. Methods to enhance verbal communication between individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and their formal and informal caregivers: A systematic review. International Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease (2010) doi: 10.4061/2010/906818.
- Egan M, Anderson S, McTaggart J. Community navigation for stroke survivors and their care partners: Description and evaluation. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation (2010) 17(3):183-190 doi 10.1310/tsr1703-183.
- Egan MY, Kubina L, Lidstone R, Macdougall G, Raudoy A. A critical reflection on occupational therapy within one Assertive Community Treatment team. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy (2010) 77(2):70-79.
- Egan M, Wells J, Byrne K, Jaglal S, Stolee P, Chesworth B, Hillier L. The process of decision-making in home care case management: Implications for the introduction of universal assessment and information technology. Health and Social Care in the Community (2009) 1(4): 371-378 doi 10.1111/j.1365-2524.2008.00835.x.
- Wells JL, Egan M, Byrne K, Jaglal S, Dumbrell A, Stolee P. Geriatric rehabilitation clinicians’ perspectives on uses of the National Rehabilitation Reporting System. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy (2009) 76(4): 294-298.
- Kessler D*, Dubouloz CJ, Urbanowski R, Egan M. Meaning perspective transformation change following stroke: The process of change. Disability and Rehabilitation (2009) doi 10.1080/09638280802509512.
- Gaines R, Missiuna C, Egan M, McLean J. Educational outreach and collaborative care enhances physicians’ perceived knowledge about Developmental Coordination Disorder. Biomed Central Health Services (2008) 8:21 doi:10.1186/1472-6963-8-21.
- Egan M. Speaking of suffering and occupational therapy. 2007 Muriel Driver Lecture. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy (2007), 74(4), 293-301.
- Egan M, Jaglal S, Byrne K, Wells J, Stolee P. Factors associated with a second hip fracture: A systematic review. Clinical Rehabilitation (2007) 22(3), 272-282. doi:10.1177/0269215507081573
- Egan M, Kessler D, Laporte L, Metcalfe V, Carter M. A pilot randomized controlled trial of community-based occupational therapy in late stroke rehabilitation. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation (2007) 14 (5), 37-45.
- Egan M, Munroe S, Rossiter T, Gauthier A, Hubert C, Eisner M, Fulford N, Neilson M, Daros B, Rodrigue C. Caring for residents with dementia and aggressive behaviour: Impact of life history knowledge. Journal of Gerontological Nursing(2007) 33(2):24-30.
- Egan M, Hobson S, Fearing VG. Occupation and dementia: A review of the literature. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy (2006) 73:132-140.
Chapters in books
- Egan M, Dubouloz C-J, Radomski MV. (invited chapter, accepted). Practical foundations for practice: Planning, guiding, documenting and reflecting. In V Radomski & MC Trombly (Eds). Occupational Therapy for Physical Dysfunction (7th ed.). Philadelphia PA: Lipincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Egan M, Vallée C. Reflections for good ghost writing. In M. McColl (ed), Spirituality in Occupational Therapy (2nd ed). CAOT Publications (2011), pp 207-216.
- Egan M, Phillips S. The spiritual environment. In T Brown & G Stoffel (ed.). Occupational therapy in mental health: a vision for participation. Philadelphia PA: FA Davis (2010), pp 453-463.